Rees questions

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Starting the CG.
A coupleoof questions.
Do the Germans get any mouseholes or are they only for scenarios.

The terrain in I13 and others is that brush or woods?

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Starting the CG.
A coupleoof questions.
Do the Germans get any mouseholes or are they only for scenarios. 1. OT SCENARIO SPECIAL RULES: Except as noted, all SSR below apply in all OT scenarios, both CG and non-CG type.
OT9. MOUSEHOLES4: During scenario setup the German may secretly record a number ( to a secret DR +2) [EXC: a number  to a secret dr +2 if playing scenarios DBOT1 or DBOT5] of Rowhouse black bar hexsides in his setup area as containing a Breach (B23.711), provided both hexes of such a hexside are within the current German setup area.

It appears that, yes, they can be rolled for at the start of each CG date (scenario).

The terrain in I13 and others is that brush or woods? There is no brush on the Rees map, time to replace the ink cartridges in your printer! :oops:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...The terrain in I13 and others is that brush or woods?
Woods. I base my answer, which can be overridden and would strike me as a lightening bolt, as playtester and proofer.

Brush to my eye, and those who proofed and PTed, has has that arc with spikes to it, like Marsh does but in a different tone.

[EDIT: PT and proofed via non_VASL map, given Vinnie's below]

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks guys.
We're playing on VASL so it's not extremely clear.
Feels good so far, the Gordons are moing forwards but have just hit the MLR of the Germans with interlocking strongpoints.
Mind you, two 10-2 leaders do help!

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It looks like woods on both maps. To me.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Michael Hastrup-Leth and I are playing this campaign game - we completed the first CG date yesterday and a few questions emerged:

1) CG17 Guns.
CG17 says that all guns has to be setup within 3 hexes of the location it ended the previous scenario. Does that include guns in Fortified building locations ? In this situation I have a 75mm INF gun in a lvl 1 fortified building location. Am I allowed to move it 3 hexes for the next CG Date ?

- In other CG Rules (I looked up RB, ABTF, FB and VOTG) it specifically says that Guns set up in fortified building locations and pillboxes may never be moved during the course of that CG.
- The standard ASL Rules (B 23.93 says "Such a weapon cannot be moved from that Location during play").

2) CG18. Combat Exhaustion.
What happens in a night time scenario if one of the sides experiences combat exhaustion while cloaked ? Is the contents of the cloaking revealed ? Is the cloaking counter marked CX ? If the cloaking counter is marked CX it seems have very little effect on them as the CX is removed at the beginning of the move phase.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Michael Hastrup-Leth and I are playing this campaign game - we completed the first CG date yesterday and a few questions emerged:

1) CG17 Guns.
CG17 says that all guns has to be setup within 3 hexes of the location it ended the previous scenario. Does that include guns in Fortified building locations ? In this situation I have a 75mm INF gun in a lvl 1 fortified building location. Am I allowed to move it 3 hexes for the next CG Date ?

- In other CG Rules (I looked up RB, ABTF, FB and VOTG) it specifically says that Guns set up in fortified building locations and pillboxes may never be moved during the course of that CG.
- The standard ASL Rules (B 23.93 says "Such a weapon cannot be moved from that Location during play").

2) CG18. Combat Exhaustion.
What happens in a night time scenario if one of the sides experiences combat exhaustion while cloaked ? Is the contents of the cloaking revealed ? Is the cloaking counter marked CX ? If the cloaking counter is marked CX it seems have very little effect on them as the CX is removed at the beginning of the move phase.
I think 2 players at the Bitter Ender will tackle this CG. These are really good questions that I'd like to know an answer for too.

I don't see how moving a gun out of a fortified location would be allowed but we'll see what the designers say. I think there would have to be an exception for the British 94* ART which can be dissembled in this CG.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I think 2 players at the Bitter Ender will tackle this CG. These are really good questions that I'd like to know an answer for too.

I don't see how moving a gun out of a fortified location would be allowed but we'll see what the designers say. I think there would have to be an exception for the British 94* ART which can be dissembled in this CG.
I would tend to agree. But an argument could be made that the Germans only have access to the 75* Inf Guns and they are easier to move around than the type of guns that are available in other CG's. Here is how the CG17 rule is written compared to other rules about Guns in Campaign games:

OPERATION TURNSCREW
CG17. GUNS:
Each non-vehicular Gun that ended the last CG scenario on-map must be set up within three hexes of the Location in which it ended that scenario [EXC: 81mm MTR, 94mm ART; Escape (5.506-.5061); Shift (5.513); if at the start of setup (RePh 5.5232) it is hooked up to a Mobile vehicle; if a CG Idle Date has been generated since the last scenario; instead, it may set up anywhere in its current Setup Area], regardless of whether it will be set up (un)hooked. Each SW/Gun in a Setup Area that contains Personnel may be set

FESTUNG BUDAPEST
CG4.
GUN/AFV: A Gun/AFV set up in a Fortified Building Location may never be moved during the course of that CG. Such a Gun/AFV, once revealed, may never again set up hidden, but may be set up Concealed if able to. Otherwise, Guns eligible per A12.34 may freely set up hidden in CG scenarios.

RED BARRICADES
CG5
GUNS: No Bore Sighting is allowed. A Gun/AFV set up in a Pillbox or Fortified Building Location may never be moved during the course of that CG [EXC: if Eliminated]. Such an AFV/Gun, once revealed, may never again set up but may be set up Concealed if able to. Otherwise, Guns may always set up hidden in CG scenarios.

A BRIDGE TOO FAR
CG5 GUNS:
A Gun set up in a Pillbox or Fortified Building Location may never be moved during the course of that CG [EXC: if dm/Eliminated]. Such a Gun, once revealed, may never again set up hidden, but may be set up concealed. Otherwise, provided it sets up within a Friendly Setup Area, an Emplaced Gun (only) may set up hidden (at no cost in FPP) in CG Scenarios. Each non-vehicular Gun that ended the last CG scenario on-map must set up within three hexes of the Location in which it ended that scenario

VALOR OF THE GUARDS
CG5: GUNS:
Bore Sighting is NA for all weapons. A Gun/AFV in a Pillbox or Fortified Building Location may never be moved during the course of that CG [EXC: if Eliminated]. Such an AFV/Gun, once revealed, may never again set up hidden normally but may be set up Concealed if able to. Otherwise, Guns may always set up hidden normally in CG scenarios.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The restraint of having to set up only within three hexes seems to me to be irrelevant to whether guns set up in fortified locations can move or not. If the limit were five, or if there were no limit, that rule (or if there were no rule) by itself does not grant the ability to move guns either in fortified buildings or not. There is no implicit granting of some ability because of a constraint. The rule restrains something that must be allowed elsewhere. B23.93 does not apply because that is limited to "during play." You would have to look at the inter-scenario CG rules. If all units/weapons are taken off board and re-setup in the next scenario, then without a CG SSR saying that guns in fortified buildings must set up in the same location, I would say that--by the rules--they may move. That said I would be highly suspicious that it was probably not intended that they should move.

As a clearer example of a constraint that does not grant an ability, consider an SSR that says, "units may set up on ground/first levels only" in a scenario with second level buildings. If the side has both infantry and vehicles, the constraint does not grant the ability of vehicles to set up on first levels of buildings. Similarly the fact that guns are constrained to set up within three hexes of their previous hex would not grant any gun the ability to set up in another location. The rule that did let them set up in a different location is constrained by the limit on distance.

JR

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But an argument could be made that the Germans only have access to the 75* Inf Guns and they are easier to move around than the type of guns that are available in other CG's.
I grok your point, but Red Barricades has 75* INF Guns too (G3 INF Battery). I hope to see a ruling on this soon. Hopefully Tom Morin post a reply.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you use @Tom Morin it will alert the member that they've been mentioned without having to address them directly.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the questions guys.

I13 is a woods hex. No brush on the OT map, so if it's a green blob, it's woods.

Guns - consider this errata - they can't be moved from a Fortified Location [EXC: 94 ART/81 MTR may be moved from a Fortified Location while dm]. So, really it's just the 75*INF that are 'stuck' in a FBL.

Combat Exhaustion - as you pointed out, it is mainly a problem if you are trying to Prep Fire (which you won't be doing if you want to stay Cloaked). Since the CX is removed at the beginning of movement it won't affect a Cloaked unit.

I try and check the Forums daily, so you can post questions here. If I'm not responding, shoot me an email.

Hope you enjoy the CG, we had an absolute blast playing it.

Tom

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry Vinnie, I meant to reply to this earlier with the other questions.

Yes, the German rolls at the start of each CG Scenario for mouse holes (DR+2).

Tom

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks. Presumably they carry in to the next as well?
My local museum has a diorama based around this action (Gordon Highlanders museum).

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the breaches are permanent.

What an awesome sight the museum must be. Those Highlander chaps were something special. If you ever want to post some pictures........

Tom

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
@Tom Morin

Thanks for the questions guys.

I13 is a woods hex. No brush on the OT map, so if it's a green blob, it's woods.

Guns - consider this errata - they can't be moved from a Fortified Location [EXC: 94 ART/81 MTR may be moved from a Fortified Location while dm]. So, really it's just the 75*INF that are 'stuck' in a FBL.

Combat Exhaustion - as you pointed out, it is mainly a problem if you are trying to Prep Fire (which you won't be doing if you want to stay Cloaked). Since the CX is removed at the beginning of movement it won't affect a Cloaked unit.

Hope you enjoy the CG, we had an absolute blast playing it.

Tom

Thanks for the quick reply. The errata on guns makes perfect sense, thanks. And thank you for the efforts you put in to design this (and whoever helped you). Michael and I had a great time playing the first CG Day and really look forward to the continuation. The special sniper rule is really a fun change.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
@Tom Morin

A few more questions has emerged

THE MOUSEHOLES
Do the mouseholes constitute a breach if it exists into a fortified building location ? I have part of a rowhouse fortified (Hex L13) and I have fired point blank at the brits in hex L12 through the mousehole. Now we are wondering if the british are able to advance from L12 to L13 eventhough I have an unpinned squad in L13.

SET DC's
As the german defender I was looking desperately for any rules regarding set DC's. But there are none. I would think that this means that it is not allowed (unless done during gameplay). This is correct ?

NO QUARTER ?
I can't find anything in the rules about No Quarter. We therefore assume No Quarter is not in effect during this campaign to begin with. But if one side declares it during one CG Date is it permanent for the rest of the campaign ?