Redundancy in forums

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just wondering how many of our community are aware, the G.I.Gamer forum buried inside the ArmChair General main section is essentially the same as this forum section (if you go on what is discussed in a broad sense of the word).

Me, I have no beef concern or need to see them merged, but, I think it is redundant to have both if the forums here are all assumed to be "merged".

I would think a possible choice would be to blend both, and put them both together in the potential neutral ground Community Resources (assuming neither forum wants to be perceived as being of lesser worth than the other).

I generally come to Warfare HQ to either discuss one of the featured games, or to see what is new in the gaming world outside of the featured game sections.
It would be easier if the purposes of this and G.I. Gamer were accessible without all the digging normally involved to end up in either of the two.

Just wondering.

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is supposed to be more for strategy games/board games that don't fit under any other category at WFHQ. The GI Gamer is more for FPS games (Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, etc.) and non-wargame video games (evil genius). There is some grey area, but I think it is all right.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Aries, that is a valid point to some extent and Brian and I are aware of it. When Brian and I first proposed merging the forums, there was a great deal of resistance to the idea because people were concerned that the forums were going to lose their focus (for both sites). We came up with the current format as a way of structuring the forums so that they enjoyed the advantages of merging while retaining their individuality. This approach has led to a small amount of redundancy and confusion over where specific topics should go.

All things being equal, this is probably acceptable as most users seem to feel that the merge was a success, or at least didn't hurt anything. Once some time passes and members get used to the idea of the forums being merged, we may consider merging them even further and eliminating any remaining redundancy. I'm not saying that is going to happen, but it might.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Makes sense Don, figured the powers that be were aware, was more concerned to know if others had picked up on it.

The merged site is well just so big now :)

But that's a good thing eh.

I, today, see Warfare HQ as the ultra forum experience. Sort of like for me going to the World's Biggest Bookstore in Toronto (no I am not sure if the name is accurate, but that's the sign on the store hehe).

There are sections here I have never seen once. That's ok.
I like though, that it seems like there is nothing missing too.

I can visit here, and know it is unlikely there will be any gaps.

Damn shame there isn't a forum for anime :)

Tiberius

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don Maddox said:
Aries, that is a valid point to some extent and Brian and I are aware of it.
Great! I had concluded that this aspect was being ignored.

Don Maddox said:
This approach has led to a small amount of redundancy and confusion over where specific topics should go.
I think it's a significant amount of confusion personally. The club based forum heirarchy makes no organisational sense whatsoever, and it's a darn shame because the bulk of the organization: the two main subcategories (PC - wargaming) and military history - italics for emphasis) could retain their integrity and club individualism. It is all the peripheral subjects that could use some shuffling.

Don Maddox said:
Once some time passes and members get used to the idea of the forums being merged, we may consider merging them even further and eliminating any remaining redundancy. I'm not saying that is going to happen, but it might.
Hear ye!, hear ye!

scuud

Reaction score
I think that the forums are fine the way they are. It seems to me that Warfare HG is mainly concerned with more or less historically accurate wargames as apposed to rogue infantry taking about whole platoons because they have good reaction times.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tiberius said:
Great! I had concluded that this aspect was being ignored.
Just so you guys know, Don and I and the other staff spend a considerable amount of time on the forums and experience the same perceived quirks as you do. We know where every post, forum, hidden section, admin panel, and dead letter office is from here to the Sudan. We've spent countless hours trawling around looking for ways to improve things, and believe me when I say we never ignore anything you guys say. Our main priority right now is to let things settle down, see where the chinks appear in the armor, then go from there. Otherwise, it could be like herding kittens...with nothing ever finding a permanent home. :laugh:

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the split. For game section I go to WHQ for history I go to ACG...it keeps the forums managable rather then becoming a huge list.

I thought the ACG from prior to the merger had too many catagories, and by adding WHQ into the same forum would have made it worse.

Granted there may be room for further consolidation but as I said I like the 2 main forums ACG & WHQ seperate.

Just my 2 cents.

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Siberian HEAT said:
Our main priority right now is to let things settle down, see where the chinks appear in the armor, then go from there. Otherwise, it could be like herding kittens...with nothing ever finding a permanent home. :laugh:
This is a super strategy and appears to be working well. Let some of the dust settle first. Way to go.

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
Pushing the New Posts buttons I get too much pages, however there is a lot of forum section which is not really interested in. Maybe a subscribing to sections and restricting the search for them only would be good for me.
That is the problem of the too much people here...

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forum Subscriptions...

You can subscribe to forums in the User Cp. So when you log in you can just got to your CP and you can see only the forums you want to.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
laszlo.nemedi said:
(If I am right) it is only threads not sections
No, you can subscribe to entire forums there. It just puts them in a list in your userCP. Never tried this myself, but then again I am on several times a day so I can usually keep current with the threads just by watching when new posts pop up. :smoke:

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HEAT Laszlo is Right The Forum Subscription Dialog is Gone!

Plaese check into this because I KNOW we used to have controls to subscribe to forums not just threads.

Thanks HEAT!

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NORAD said:
Plaese check into this because I KNOW we used to have controls to subscribe to forums not just threads.

Thanks HEAT!
? I see it just fine. You cannot be in a thread to select it but on the forum index instead. Do you not see an option like I've attached?

laszlo.nemedi

Reaction score
Country
llHungary
WestPointer said:
? I see it just fine. You cannot be in a thread to select it but on the forum index instead. Do you not see an option like I've attached?
Is it recursive (hmm cascading), I mean every forum below that forum will be shown in the CP?

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Westpointer...

No I do not have this option! The only option I have is to Search Forum. No Forum Tools. :crosseye:

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NORAD said:
No I do not have this option! The only option I have is to Search Forum. No Forum Tools.
I'm so confused .... here's a pic I took while logged out of the forum ... so it's not because of my high permissions.

:-(