RED Tourny RD1 Rob vs Scully

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This is for RED players in the tourny (and visitors) only if you are a BLUE player do not read until after your game has finished

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ok below is my quick planning. I don't know Scully as a player so that always makes it a bit harder, but I judge him to be competent.

Assumption is a similar setup on both sides, close to mirror image but not quite.

Mission Analysis
Kill the enemy and secure the objectives  Objectives evenly spreed and worth equal value, except for OBJ Silver which is worth twice as much.

Force ratios… expected to be effectively even. Need to create local supperiority

Knowledge of enemy commander, limited but judged competent.

Terrain Analysis
The battlespace is flat with no elevation and little restricted terrain (but some urban terrain) but is divided by a Y shaped river, with the key objectives being at the junction of the Y and on the two arms. There are limited fixed bridges and no additional bridging assets. This will make the bridges the key choke points, where ISR assets from both sides are to be expected.

Terrain encourages blue to attack through the middle, and Red to go from the top and bottom.

Expected enemy COA
Send flanking force to the north.
Advance through gap north of OBJ Titanium, cross bridge then head south to OBJ Silver in strength.

Plan

Right hook to destroy enemy screen, hold in centre.

13 CAV size OBJ Iron, push forward to secure the contact.

2nd Bde to hold behind 13 CAV then attack

3rd Bde to seize TIN and GOLD

1 BDE support right hook or pressure the centre.

4 AVN Bde to remain in reserve to reinforce success.

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Results of turn 1 execution.

Enemy recon coy detected by NAI basically where I expected him, moving up the middle.

But I detected VIA UAV (put out as flank security) an ACR Bn further north than expected.

Also my troops moved much further than I expected in the first turn.

This game will get bloody quickly!

Cheers

Rob

Last edited:

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well we started again.

similar intel to turn one, but I detected more to the north.

Turn sees me detecting 2 Bdes, and the en Cav Bde HQ and LOG.

Looks like Brian has commited a bde north as well, this means I don't have superiority. But his forward BN is out on a limb a bit... I'll see if I can hit it with helos, the BDE and slip a Bn in behind it.

I want to try and whittle his forces down.

I don't like fighting fair :)

Cheers

Rob

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well it looks like we are both commiting the bulk of our forces north. Brian just got the better of the first lot of exchanges, I have a cav sqn broken after running into a BDE!

I trid some attacks on a bridge but AD disrupted them, so no result... bloody gutless airforce!

I'm going to try a massed AHELO attack on the BN behind my lines...

I'll hold on the restricted terrain and defend for the moment. Got a lot of supplies accross that turn so I should be OK.

Now to find the other BDE...

Cheers

Rob

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well after a few hiccups we are going again.

Latest turn shows a real mixed bag. I maul one of his brigades up north, but two of my recon Bn's are very unhappy. One retreats back into his tac HQ though and gives it a bit of a touch up (18%). That should drop his morale.

Down south one of my bdes gives a Bn a very rough time, looks like those southern objectives are mine.

I launch all my Ahelos... but they fail to find anything.

The battle continues....

Rob

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well my plan is starting to come together. In the north I've stopped his attacks, and attrited his forces such that he can't afford to move much away as the force ratios will go in my favour.

In the south I occupy all the objectives, and he can't generate the force needed after some succesful helo and ground assaults.

I also have two cav units that are rampaging through his rear area, they are a bit! worn down now, but he has suffered losses, and had to pull back units to deal with them.

One of his engineer units sucessfully destroyed the southern most bridge, thats great news as I no longer have to guard that approach.

I'll defend down south, and increase pressure up north so he can't pull back.

While overall losses are slightly in my favour, I hold more objectives and it will be hard to dig me off them... time will tell if Brian can turn that around.

I'm beginning to feel confident.

Cheers

Rob

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well last few turns have been crazy, I just can't get my attack helos to fire. They don't seam to recognise the enemy ACR units as recon or tank mech... any ideas.

Brian has shifted forces to the middle, I'm doing likewise. Going to be an interesting couple of turns.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Try setting the Priority target as None - and secondary as Recon. Sort of like a combat "reboot" :D

I have to ask though, how the hell did he get a MP battalion that deep behind the frontlines? :laugh:

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks Ivan, that worked.

Well in the south his brigade has swung around. In turn 9 I managed to hold it with an obsticle, but in turn 10 he got away. I have one more obsticle left and will try and hold him this turn, I should do OK, on the defence in urban but logistics is low, lost my resup convoy last turn :(

I have a brigade rushing to the rescue, its going to be real interesting.

My third Brigade is doing to him what he is doing to me, so its a real mobile war out there!

I've lost more forces but have more objectives.

Going to try and trap the brigade down south... or die trying.

Cheers

Rob

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well laying more obsticles saved me this turn, halting the enemy bde and allowing me to slip in supplies to my brigade.

My attack helos did good causing 30% cas to the cav bn that was holding up my reinforcing brigade. It then brush the bn asside causing another 30% cas. It is now rapidly closing on the rear of his brigade, that should get trapped.

My bn on the 300 point objective held off his other brigade, causing more cas than it took thanks to a TAI and being on defence in urban terrain.

My third bde did not do so well and is now stopped by his third bde. That stand off should continue, I'll probably pull back.

Only a few turns to go, casualty losses are the same at about 44%, but I hold the key objectives... for the moment.

Cheers

Rob

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Rob - in the Northern Objective, do you have you BDE split into the composite BNs, or have you detached one. If the Former, it's better to have them all as one BDE, as the C4ISR units will take more of a beating from arty and Atk Helos than if it were a complete unit. So, no matter how healthy your manoveure bats are, they can't function properly without the rest of the BDE.

If the Latter, then ignore the above :D

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The northern most objective is held by a reinforced Bn, which is enough.

most of my combat power is in the 3 Bdes, although I have formed another reinforced Bn group that is holding the 300 point objective easily against a Bde.

Both sides initially had the bulk of their combat power in the north, then both moved south, but I got there quicker.

I know about splitting units up, but thanks for the reminder :)

Cheers

Rob

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well this was a good turn, I killed a Log Bn, a HQ unit a Cav Bn surrendered after being savaged for two turns by ahelos. I also savaged one of his ahelo units. I know have two Bn's in contact against his one in the south, it is surrounded, just lost its HQ and some resupply. Its in poor morale and highly suppressed, my Bdes are in ok to good shape (one did all the savaging on the log bn and Hq unit, always good for moral killing staff officers!).

My third bde is in bad shape though, and is basically combat ineffective, but he can't afford to leave it alone as it still could fight back.

My Bn holding the 200 point objective is still doing well againet the enemy Bde, and help is on its way.

In the pic below you will see an enemy recon bn far behind my lines, it is combat ineffective and running from my MP company!!!

Losses are now 47% for blue and 44% for red, so in the space of 3 turns have turned that around as well (mainly due to finally getting my ahelos to work).

Everyone is tired... but just a bit more to go to final victory! (as long as i don't stuff up).

Looking back Brian did a great job of slipping the Bde and its supporting assets through the gap. Luckily I remembered I had FASCAM and managed to stop him for 2 vital turns (forgot to fire one one turn and he slipped further south, but I then caught him again).

Plus I was already in the process of moving a bde south. So even while I'd have to honestly say I didn't anticipate his move, I was in a good position to counter it.

The game isn't over yet, but I'm certainly in the stronger position, mainly due to me securing the objectives first.

Cheers

Rob

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well another eventfully turn.

I finally caught that en cav Bn in my rear area... it surrendered :)

In the north I lost an AD coy, but destroyed the cav unit threatening my objective.

Down soth we traded Ahelo sorties, not a lot of casualties except for the ahelos :(

I just discovered one ahelo that was partially off map and withoutlog, so next turn I have two fresh units to throw in.

On the 200 point objective he has bought up a full strength Mech Bn that has really hurt my bn on the objective, it's now facing 4-1 odds against and its not happy :( I may loose that objective.

My Brigades down south have done fine though, so we shall see how an attack goes next turn.

Only two turns to go, losses are definately in my favour, but that will probably not be enough for victory if I loose the 200 point objective.

Cheers

Rob

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well much to my surprise my unit held on the main objective!

As you can see his brigade down south has pulled away.

I also threw accross my n=eng bn to cause havoc in his rear area, and a Bn from up north is also racing in.

Put serious hurt on his AD this turn with pre-planned SEAD, but two ahelo units still lost heavily against them :(

Only one turn to go now... I should hold.

I'm going to create a taskforce off my bde defening the bottom objective to try and help out on the 200 point objective... we shall see.

Cheers

Rob

Rob Carpenter

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well success at last, a minor victory but a well earned and hard fought one, always the best sort to have!

Cheers

Rob