Red Oct CG I X-TAG (2020 AAR)

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Add to this the ambush possibility, especially by an ATTACKER that could quite possibly bring a dash leader with him vs a conscript and I believe a 60% success rate is within the realm possibility.
Why not add an 838 squad into the calculation also, I am sure a sensible Russian player will selfbreak as you ramp your % to the ceiling ;)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why not add an 838 squad into the calculation also, I am sure a sensible Russian player will selfbreak as you ramp your % to the ceiling ;)
Ambush possibility is almost always a factor so I believe it is a valid consideration. As I indicated I was just a little intrigued as to why more capture attempts weren't conducted as I believe this is a valid tactic to be employed by the Germans in this instance. If you don't agree to my rough "%" calculation/guesstimate, meh. It is after all your game and my intention was not to change your approach to it, just to understand your approach.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Assume your German manage to Capture 6 Russian squads in a CG when you go for taking prisoner.

Compared to another German player (not you) instead opt out and only Eliminate 6 Russian squads, but lose one German squad due to his decision not to take prisoners.

Still he is not burdened by Guarding 6 Russian Squad-Equivalents that will try to escape and kill their Guards and become conscript 426/226 again.

Guards will fight poorly at the frontline and retreat and lose important terrain to Russian counter attacks that will naturally concentrate its effort on German Guards.

In the end it will benefit the Russians more than the opposite.

The few times we can see capture attempts are in the end of the CG day (Turn 7-8), if any CC happens vs Conscript that must first be ambushed before the Capture option will be considered.

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Play with interrigation rules in effect (E2.0+)
Makes taking PoWs at least worthwhile.
adds intersting tactical considerations and adds some fun
all without being too overpowering

Just something to consider
Will never happen, ASL already give so much intel to both sides, no reason to spoil the fog of war that remains.

Regard some of the free intel given to you in ASL, in a very abstract way of course, handed to you by PoW taken recently, before the actual game starts, and the rest in an abstract manner, through intel handed to you by Recon units before and during the battle

Have even reduced Searching to a less effective rule in the game to increase the aspect of fog of war.

House rule used:

12. SEARCHING: Searching may only reveal Fortifications, Set DC,
AFV, Dug-In AFV and Gun ADJACENT (A.8) to the Searching unit(s)
(i.e., Infantry, Dummy units, tunnels cannot be Searched/revealed).
RECONNAISSANCE NA: Delete O11.622.
RECON INSPECTION NA: Delete O11.6245.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
28 October report available.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
An updated set of Leaflet House Rules, the updates have been done in the Red October LHR 20-27 section (only).