Red Factories/Red October Up For Preorder!

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Adding those DftB RB scenarios I think might not be a good idea, they are over the top complicated with each having several paragraph long SSR's and VC's (the designer has a rep for the uber complicated in his designs) and I think goes against the spirit of RB which is everything is straight forward ready to play. Plus those scenarios sucked anyway and will need a lot of work to balance them out.

Scott
Screw it, throw them in; too many scenarios is never enough.

Reckall

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I wonder if there will be a way to tie both RF and RO to Honor of the Guards... My knowledge of the events depicted is a bit rusty right now.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I wonder if there will be a way to tie both RF and RO to Honor of the Guards... My knowledge of the events depicted is a bit rusty right now.
I assume you mean Valor of the Guards. Stalingrad was (and presumably still is) a very long, thin city spread out along the banks of the Volga. Many miles separate the Factory districts depicted in RF and the Central Stalingrad district depicted in VotG.

Furthermore, the campaigns are separated in time as well. By the time the Germans were assaulting the Factories, the fighting in the Central Stalingrad district was essentially over.

So, "linking" the games would (at best) be extraordinarily impractical, and fairly pointless as well.

map_stalingrad_1942_09_12_to_1942_11_18_version2.jpg

Reckall

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Yes, Valor. I have it because a friend of mine bought it three years ago but then gave it to me since he wasn't really into HASL (how he discovered this after buying the game is beyond me...)

Anyway, I have this brand new copy of VotG which I never even opened. I don't even know which part of the Stalingrad Campaign it covers. Time to read the back of the box, I guess :D

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is still the Lazur Chemical Plant, the Tennis Racket and the Dzerzhinsky Tractor Works (I know CH did it) to go.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
As much as I love RB and I'm OK with VoTG I gotta agree. Let's move on.
At the end of the day (or the beginning of it!), all these modules are developed and driven by players. They have an interest in the subject (in this case Stalingrad) and move forward with it. Other players have different interests so you need to look to them to pitch an idea, spend 5-10 years working on it, and deliver the 98% completed project to MMP for entry into the queue. But as long as players/developers have an interest in both Stalingrad and design, we most likely will see a few more.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I will buy the RED FACTORIES anyway ...

... but after that release, I hope, we're done with Stalingrad HASLs.
Agreed. I appreciate the work that goes into these, and I will buy it, but at this point, I have to admit, I am in the "lets do something else" camp.

Peace

Roger

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
But as long as players/developers have an interest in both Stalingrad and design, we most likely will see a few more.
Yes. That's true. But the question is whether the gamers will buy them all or not. And if they don't buy them, then MMP will get a problem because of less sales.
And by the way, I don't wait for other designers to design a HASL I prefer. I design my own ones.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1k+ preorders (counting RO-only orders also) in under 10 days. Pretty good. Just not good enough to win my bet with Brian that it would hit in a week.
Charlie has started the maps, and we expect to announce a nice surprise shortly.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi Perry,

How radical do you think the changes will be to the RB map? It could end up looking very different if you were to incorporate all the new data.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Perry,

How radical do you think the changes will be to the RB map? It could end up looking very different if you were to incorporate all the new data.
We are not going to change the RB map at all.

We are going to provide in Red Factories overlays for some of the more important updates so that players can change their maps if they want. I don't have the overlay list at hand right now, but we'll be sharing it shortly.

We also plan to put up for preorder separately a set of gutted factory overlays for all the factories in Red Factories for use when your factory becomes gutted. More on that later.