Red Factories/Red October Up For Preorder!

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
RB2 Blood and Guts -- I had tremendous fun with this, but as the ROAR results suggest it's probably a bit too pro-German.
Lost this as Soviets to Steve Mickevics. I agree it's pro-German, but agree on whatever balance terms you can, get over it and PLAY IT!

RB3 Bread Factory #2 -- I know I've played this, but it was so long ago it's not even in my ROAR record ... I can't recall any problems with it.
This is an excellent scenario on which newbies to Stalingrad (both RB and VG) to cut their teeth - just guns, infantry, terrain and the RB SSR. You will have fun.

HA2 The Commissar's House -- I've not played it; ROAR suggests it's pro-German.
It is, but balance be damned. Play it. It's so much more fun than the geo-board version.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Two questions:
  1. How is it that, "the source files for RED BARRICADES are no longer available" when it was re-printed under MMP's auspices in BV2?
Probably means they have the image file, but not in a format that lets them do things like change the color scheme, or change fonts for the hex numbering, or whatever. If the BV2 reprint is an exact match, this is most likely the case - they could reprint it, but not alter it.

Or, the printing process has changed between BV2, and they now need the map files in a different format, with no good conversion tool.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Regarding the scenario list in the product description, I think there have been a couple of additional RB scenarios published in DftB (Andy Hershey had one in the latest issue). Not sure what the cutoff date is for components/content.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Two excellent RB scenarios in RBF magazine as well, #3 IIRC.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
Probably means they have the image file, but not in a format that lets them do things like change the color scheme, or change fonts for the hex numbering, or whatever. If the BV2 reprint is an exact match, this is most likely the case - they could reprint it, but not alter it.

Or, the printing process has changed between BV2, and they now need the map files in a different format, with no good conversion tool.
Jim Dauphinais advises on ConSim that the BV2 maps were printed from the preserved TAHGC film. In this day and age it is probably pretty hard to find a printer that still has equipment to print from camera work. Those films are now historical artifacts.

soggycrow

Polish Submariner
Reaction score
Country
llPoland
I ordered one. Somewhere around 225.

One thing puzzles me. The cover art features the Barmaley fountain. The statues of the children and crocodiles. But I thought that was further south near the railroad station. Is the map of the New RO portion really that big?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I do not think the art on the website is necessarily the art on the future box.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Adding those DftB RB scenarios I think might not be a good idea, they are over the top complicated with each having several paragraph long SSR's and VC's (the designer has a rep for the uber complicated in his designs) and I think goes against the spirit of RB which is everything is straight forward ready to play. Plus those scenarios sucked anyway and will need a lot of work to balance them out.

Scott

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I'm glad you made the right choice as far as you are concerned, but the difference between an excellent scenario designer like Charlie and that other guy is night and day. I suppose I should be lucky andy did not design the RO scenarios, that would have been pretty brutal trying to struggle through 10 scenarios with several paragraphs of SSR's and VC's.

Anyway, just glad to see the best CG getting reprinted as well as RO which will be an instant classic.

LOL...now I know we made the right choice.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Well, I'm glad you made the right choice as far as you are concerned, but the difference between an excellent scenario designer like Charlie and that other guy is night and day. I suppose I should be lucky andy did not design the RO scenarios, that would have been pretty brutal trying to struggle through 10 scenarios with several paragraphs of SSR's and VC's.

Anyway, just glad to see the best CG getting reprinted as well as RO which will be an instant classic.
To paraphrase: Ok we get it, some people don't like <andy's scenarios> that's fine but this thread is about the joy of seeing RF on pre order and letting all those who enjoy Stalingrad know how happy they are and they ordered. If you want to be negative, start a thread on how much you hate CG's and Stalingrad but please stop thread crapping in this thread.

Just sayin' -- jim

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I can assure you, I will quote you on this at some point in the future. -- jim

That only took eighteen hours and nine minutes. :laugh:

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim