Red Factories/Red October Up For Preorder!

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi folks-

Here are two new ASL preorders.

1. RED FACTORIES http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/59/ProductID/343/Default.aspx

RED FACTORIES is a Historical ASL module that combines the original RED BARRICADES with RED OCTOBER. If the preorder succeeds, Charlie Kibler will paint all four maps in the same style (the source files are no longer available to us, so in order to reprint the RED BARRICADES map we have to repaint it). The module will include new scenarios and Campaign Games for RED OCTOBER, updated scenarios and campaign games for RED BARRICADES, and also a wealth of additional RED BARRICADES material that has been published since the original release of that HASL. Please read the product description very carefully; there is a lot of information to convey.

2. RED OCTOBER http://www.multimanpublishing.com/tabid/59/ProductID/344/Default.aspx

For players who don't wish to purchase the RED BARRICADES material contained in RED FACTORIES, we are offering—for the preorder period ONLY—the RED OCTOBER material at a slightly reduced price over the whole enchilada. Once the preorders have been fulfilled, the ONLY product MMP will stock and sell is RED FACTORIES.

NOTE: Production of these two modules is solely dependent upon the success of the RED FACTORIES preorder. Although a preorder number is listed for RED OCTOBER, it doesn't actually mean anything (we have to fill in a field on the preorder page).

In other words, RED FACTORIES is the module we seek to produce; the RED OCTOBER-only version is a preorder special that will NOT be available for direct retail sale from MMP.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Once again with MMP preorders, I'm afraid I'd be killed by the shipping costs - they're the reason I haven't preordered Festung Budapest.

Yet. I still might - I'm weak :)

greuh

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Preorder prices are ok but I think there's an error in the retail price for one of them (the RO only, I'd say), as it is the same for RO alone and for RO+RB : $164
Knowing the preorder pricing policy, I think the retail price of RO alone is not the good one.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I know this is what I wrote on the French forum, but if you read closely, the "Red October" solo module should actually not have a retail price - they only intend to sell it through preorders, and only the double module "Red Factories" will have a retail price.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I wish I could preorder but the shipping and customs to the UK would just make it economically non viable :cry:

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I'm buying this in any event, but it would've been nice if the Red Barricades SASL campaign were included. The map repainting is HUGE - I avoided buying RB for 25 years b/c I couldn't stand the map (I realize this isn't a common opinion.) With a new-look map I'm quite excited for this.

It occurs to me that despite all the many, many, many, many articles I've seen about RB over the years, I've never read so much as a paragraph about the stand-alone scenarios for the HASL. It's all been about the CG (perhaps understandably.) Can anyone offer an opinion about the RB scenarios?

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Chas - thanks for putting this up for pre-order and your cleavage.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
It occurs to me that despite all the many, many, many, many articles I've seen about RB over the years, I've never read so much as a paragraph about the stand-alone scenarios for the HASL. It's all been about the CG (perhaps understandably.) Can anyone offer an opinion about the RB scenarios?
I haven't played too many of them, and mostly not recently, so I can't recall many specifics. The ROAR results suggest that most of them are fairly balanced.

RB1 One Down, Two to Go -- I've played this a couple of times and had good fun with it.
RB2 Blood and Guts -- I had tremendous fun with this, but as the ROAR results suggest it's probably a bit too pro-German.
RB3 Bread Factory #2 -- I know I've played this, but it was so long ago it's not even in my ROAR record ... I can't recall any problems with it.
RB4 To the Rescue -- I've only played this once, about 20 years ago, but I greatly enjoyed it at the time.
RB5 The Last Bid -- I've never played it, but the ROAR results suggest that it's pretty pro-German.
RB6 Turned Away -- I've not played it that I can recall, but the ROAR numbers are good.
RB7 The Red House -- I had no complaints (but I can't recall much about it, unfortunately).

HA1 Fire on the Volga -- I've not played it, but the ROAR numbers are not promising (although not conclusive) -- looks pro-Russian. More seriously, from memory I think the VC are deeply flawed, which I think is the reason the Germans have a lot of trouble. I suspect this one will get changed a lot in the update.
HA2 The Commissar's House -- I've not played it; ROAR suggests it's pro-German.

H-A Ghosts in the Rubble -- I hated this. The ROAR numbers are suggesting that it's heavily pro-Russian, which agrees with my personal experience.

J22 Oh Joy! -- Pretty good fun. Just don't roll a "12" for the OT-T-34 Start MP.

I have no personal experience with the DB scenarios to be included, and they've not had enough exposure on ROAR to give meaningful stats.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After years of playing um-teen numbers of CGs, one of my buddies & I decided to play through all the RB type scenarios we had. Though we had played a few of them many moons ago, we simply went through them all in late 2014 to early 2015. For what it's worth, here's my estimation of the scenarios.

RB1, One Down, Two to Go: fun factor 10, balance 8 to 9 slightly pro German.
RB2, Blood & Guts: Fun factor 9, balance 7 Pro German. (Interest is always a 10 because of the forces involved).
RB3, Bread Factory #2: Fun factor 10, Balance 9, Fairly even.
RB4, To The Rescue: Fun factor 7 (didn't care for set up restrictions mainly), balance 8, slightly pro Russian.
RB5, The Last Bid: Fun factor 10, Balance 8, slightly pro German (though you couldn't prove it by my play).
RB6, Turned Away: Fun factor 10+ (best of the bunch), Balance 9 or 10, we think it's dead even.
RB7, The Red House: Fun factor 7, Balance 7, pro Russian (though the vagaries of a night action could swing it wildly the other way as in a past playing).
HASL1, Fire on the Volga: Fun factor 7, Balance 6, as close to a barker as one can get and still be playing RB.
HASL2, The Commissar's House: Fun factor 7, play balance 5, VERY pro German (Support Fire by huge FGs, Assault Move & Advance-you can't lose)-This is a barker regardless of the fact it's RB.
HASL A, Ghosts in The Rubble: Fun factor 8, balance 6,VERY pro Russian but it has its moments.
J22, Oh Joy! Fun factor 8, balance 8, pro Russian but as said previously, if the OT-34 goes down, it's a wild swing the other way I think.
DB85 The 138 of the 138th: Fun factor 10, balance 10, EVEN! An absolute blast-set up is a little trying though.
DB108, Sandbanks of the Volga: Fun factor 7 probably 8, Balance 7?, pro German. (a good solid scenario though if played competently-I didn't).
DB122, Prescription For The Commissar: Fun Factor 9, Balance 8 or 9 though we're torn on our feel who has the upper hand (haven't checked ROAR).