Red Factories/Red October Up For Preorder!

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Given the flexibility given to designers, I don't see the reason for the overlay hatred. I certainly prefer them to rubble counters on the map and think MMP putting some one hex rubble type overlays could go a long way to improving playability.

Happy with either map/overlay option, but probably don't want two maps as that would slow things down and up the cost. Just get this in our hands MMP (error free and playtested the best you can)!

andrea pagni

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
will the german counters be "divionalized" as in FB or will they be generic?

andrea

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
God knows I don't have enough 4-6-7's....
I also have way too many 4-6-7's, but since a good number of them are more than 25 years old, they tend to have a variety of colors. If the new HASL comes with enough troops, I might be able to store the old ones away except for the very hypothetical playing of dual-map monster scenario "the middle bid" :)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Hopefully generic. I never understood the "divisionalized" hype which makes such counters incompatible for the vast majority of scenarios.
IIRC, one reason for it in FB was that in the fourth (not included and who knows if it will be published) CG it did matter which division units came from. But I could be remembering incorrectly.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
IIRC, one reason for it in FB was that in the fourth (not included and who knows if it will be published) CG it did matter which division units came from. But I could be remembering incorrectly.
In that particular case, that might justify it. However, variants in the counters' ID#s like A, a, 1, A could do the trick, too. It has been handled this way before.

von Marwitz

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
If all of the scenarios were to be updated to account for it, I would willingly embrace an historically updated RB map. Since they won't be, I would prefer it simply be repainted brighter and more clear.

You can not seriously think that it would not alter scenario (RB, Annuals, DftB, etc.) balance if what was once a building hex with levels 1 & 2 is now rubbled from the start. Besides the field of LOS and far more Locations, you reduce the obstacle height to a half-level.

I like the way MMP is addressing it. Repaint it and offer historically accurate overlays for those who want them. If someone wants to design a scenario using these new overlays, so be it.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I like the way MMP is addressing it. Repaint it and offer historically accurate overlays for those who want them. If someone wants to design a scenario using these new overlays, so be it.
Same here. Add in some indication (or best guess) for the date when each particular building was rubbled, and we'd have essentially the best of both worlds: historical accuracy for anyone who wants as much of it as they can get, and consistency for all the older scenario designs.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hopefully generic. I never understood the "divisionalized" hype which makes such counters incompatible for the vast majority of scenarios.
Unless the counter values are different, division insignia don't make the counters "incompatible" for other scenarios, they just make them less historically accurate.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Considering that the universe would likely die of heat death before anyone was actually able to finish a double-OOB double CG, I think sanity would be the least of one's concerns.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Unless the counter values are different, division insignia don't make the counters "incompatible" for other scenarios, they just make them less historically accurate.
Granted. But isn't the whole point of using division insignia to make them more historically accurate?
In the vast majority of cases, they would achieve the opposite.

von Marwitz

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OVHS had the red letters for units. I believe they had different costs and had to withdrawal at some point during the CG? Certainly usable in scenarios. Kind of like the designations, but we probably have enough. I just put them into a bin that never sees daylight.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OVHS had the red letters for units. I believe they had different costs and had to withdrawal at some point during the CG? Certainly usable in scenarios. Kind of like the designations, but we probably have enough. I just put them into a bin that never sees daylight.
They were for Panzer Lehr division forces that were withdrawn every night. I see no reason why specially marked Divisional units can't be used in regular scenarios. I keep them in the 1/2 squad bin just so they could be found easily.