Red Factories/Red October Up For Preorder!

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
We are not going to change the RB map at all.

We are going to provide in Red Factories overlays for some of the more important updates so that players can change their maps if they want. I don't have the overlay list at hand right now, but we'll be sharing it shortly.

We also plan to put up for preorder separately a set of gutted factory overlays for all the factories in Red Factories for use when your factory becomes gutted. More on that later.
Given that the features changed as fighting went on, overlays make terrific sense. Thanks Perry!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia

We are going to provide in Red Factories overlays for some of the more important updates so that players can change their maps if they want. I don't have the overlay list at hand right now, but we'll be sharing it shortly.

We also plan to put up for preorder separately a set of gutted factory overlays for all the factories in Red Factories for use when your factory becomes gutted. More on that later.
That is probably the wisest and most cautious approach. It would have been nice to see a new map for RB but then the scenarios would be affected and it would probably unsettle the purists. After all - just how far would one go? The aerial photos of the area show just how different the map is from reality. Plus there is a huge change from mid October till mid November. Keep it as it is!

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Very cool, Perry. Now, one question: With the prior maps having been printed on paper, will the new maps be printed on something more conducive to attaching overlays?

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I must admit that I'm lost ...
So what is now the difference between the "Red Factories" and "Red Oktober" products ??? Just a handfull of overlays that could be ordered separately ???

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
RF will have the complete RB module in it, plus lots more.

bis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I'm confused.
In the Red Barricades Map Issues thread Fort says
"With the fall of the Soviet Union and the recent deluge of previously unavailable
information we want to make this map as accurate as possible."
Yet in this thread Perry says
"We are not going to change the RB map at all."
So which is it?

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I guess I'm confused.
In the Red Barricades Map Issues thread Fort says
"With the fall of the Soviet Union and the recent deluge of previously unavailable
information we want to make this map as accurate as possible."
Yet in this thread Perry says
"We are not going to change the RB map at all."
So which is it?
Look at Perry's post at the end of the page before this one. It will answer your question. In short, overlays will be provided for those who prefer to have the map to be updated based upon the research done since 1991.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I wouldn't go the overlay route if it was up to me. I'd have TWO maps. One old version and one new version. The new version would go in RF and the old version could be sold separately. Possibly going on pre-order like any other product.

SimonC

Reaction score
Country
ll
So how will this work in terms of the scenarios and CGs? Will there be versions for the original map and versions for the updated map-I would imagine the terrain changes would affect balance in some instances.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So how will this work in terms of the scenarios and CGs? Will there be versions for the original map and versions for the updated map-
No.

I would imagine the terrain changes would affect balance in some instances.
I imagine so, although the CG are big enough and chaotic enough that a few terrain changes should not be decisive.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I wouldn't go the overlay route if it was up to me. I'd have TWO maps. One old version and one new version. The new version would go in RF and the old version could be sold separately. Possibly going on pre-order like any other product.
My choice would be updated maps with overlays to revert the 'new' map to it's old configuration. The many who already have the original map could use either and those who didn't could use the new with or without reversion overlays according to their own taste. I'm afraid I'm in the use as few overlays as possible camp.

I have to agree with Perry that the magnitude of terrain changes, while they might have an effect on a normal scenario, I would judge to have marginal effect on either CGs or really monster scenarios.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I agree with Paul, I really don't like overlays and try to avoid them if at all possible
so I would have liked to have seen two maps as well (that would put the cost up a fair bit though I guess)

Still, I'm looking forward to it regardless

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No.

I imagine so, although the CG are big enough and chaotic enough that a few terrain changes should not be decisive.
Now this is how to cut a Gordian knot.

I see "rep" is no longer available, so I - BIG TIME - 'liked' this post!

Ps - I pre-ordered two copies of "Red Factories".

Last edited: