Red Factories miscellaneous stuff

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Happily, my Battalion had few training related deaths (I remember two negligent discharges in Desert Shield and a drug death in Thailand). The other two Battalions in my Regiment had numerous training-related deaths (I recall helo and truck crashes and a mortar incident). It's terrible to lose a Marine under any circumstances, but especially so due to a training accident.
Glad to see you called it a negligent discharge of a weapon and not an accidental discharge. It is a soldiers responsibility to ensure once his weapon is loaded it will fire only when he wishes to fire it and failure to maintain his equipment or peform safety procedures that may result in it firing when he is not prepared to fire it is negligence on his part and not an accident. Incidents of this nature always carried an automatic Artice 15 (non-judicial punishment) with possible reduction in rank or a courts martial if bodily injury occurred when we were in Iraq [and every time we were at or out of the wire weapons were always loaded].

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice to see that a simple remark and thoughts about addressing a very specific issue in ASL is met with false character insinuations, condescension and downright weird statements that made no sense.

I am well aware of all the various tactics, and have been playing (and winning a good deal of the time) ASL since it was first released by AH back in the day. And on another board configuration some of them may indeed be possible. But now I suggest you get out the new RB board and look at scenario RB10, which is the specific situation this all started with.

All of the Red House hexes can be sited for fire, there is nowhere to hide and/or feed units in from. So really the situation is a "stand and fight" one. They do happen you know. The specific detail issue I raised has to do with how you can't stand up to small arms fire even in a fortified building and how it runs counter not only to history (and experiences related by friends I have in the military) but even the ASL AARs on the scenario cards.

Oh, and by the way I do not like TPPs at all - been burned too many times by them. I stick to MMP stuff only nowadays.

If all of that is true (I haven't looked at it), then maybe you've simply found a poorly designed scenario. It wouldn't be the first one. But it shouldn't be taken as a flaw in the system itself.

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pillboxes I lack a lot of scenario experience with. Fortified buildings I have more with and they don't truly work. The attacker can and does just small arms fire the defender out of their positions and then advance in. No real fire and movement and no real usage of breaching or other such tactics.

It occurs to me later designed ASL scenarios have fewer turns - perhaps a reason is to actually push the attacker to move up and not just sit back and gun the defender to death?
That has not been my experience with fortified buildings. Sometimes big firepower can work, but often it doesn't. A couple consecutive fire phases of rolling 9s and 10s, or simply not getting rate a few times in a row can often put the attacker behind on the clock, so that even if they can eventually shoot the front-line defenders out, it's too late.

Joelist

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My experience has been different. In my experience getting one or more defenders to break has been reliable, then the fortified building can be advanced into. Of course I tend towards scenarios with longer durations (10 turn range).