Red Factories miscellaneous stuff

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I hate discussions on ways to change ASL. It will never happen. It's a pointless exercise. I'm not going to argue that they are better or worse as I prefer to play ASL, not the 10,000 dreamed up tweaks and variants. You want to 'fix' ASL, make some scenarios and put in SSR's as you see fit. And watch few of them ever get played.
Darn right. And AH/MMP's adherence to keeping the rules stable is a big part of why ASL is still going strong. Constantly changing rules has hurt a lot of games, I'm very happy MMP has not headed down that path.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Darn right. And AH/MMP's adherence to keeping the rules stable is a big part of why ASL is still going strong. Constantly changing rules has hurt a lot of games, I'm very happy MMP has not headed down that path.
Darn right! And that Pleva guy and his heretical rules should be hunted down, into the depths of Tora Bora if necessary.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Not going to happen - no one wants to read the cave rules... :)
Read the rules? I don't think there's a rule that says you are allowed to read the rules. I think you have to do whatever then start a thread here on gamesquad titled, "did we do this right?"

JR

Last edited:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While I have not really thought about the idea of Area Fire vs. a Fortified Location, your idea of changing it back to normal fire once breached is a very interesting one.
Would the change back just be for fire through the breached hex side? A breach doesn't include the vertex.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Would the change back just be for fire through the breached hex side? A breach doesn't include the vertex.
Not too sure of that take per the INDEX: "Hexside (one of the six lines which combine to form a Hex; each hexside also contains two vertices)...". I believe the "only" reference in B23.711 (...the hexside (only — but with normal TEM) ...) notes only that hexside is breached and no other as the definition of hexside has not been changed.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agree. Seems to me that the Fortified Building Locations rules perhaps do not accurately simulate the building historically in this particular scenario. More than that those rules are "broken" per se.
I'm not sure how making The Commissars House impregnable makes for a viable scenario.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure how making The Commissars House impregnable makes for a viable scenario.
Neither do I - but then I don't think there is a "general" issue/problem/fault with the existing Fortified Building Location rules either.
I am in agreement. IF you need to make it 'tougher' there are already existing rules (IE: Fanatic Strongpoints, ect.) to enable the troops to better rally and then there are the SSR's such as in DB122 to make the defenders sturdier.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am in agreement. IF you need to make it 'tougher' there are already existing rules (IE: Fanatic Strongpoints, ect.) to enable the troops to better rally and then there are the SSR's such thingas in DB122 to make the defenders sturdier.
Another thing is the overall defensive strategy quite apart from sitting behind the walls of a FortLoc and/or defending the building obliquely.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another thing is the overall defensive strategy quite apart from sitting behind the walls of a FortLoc and/or defending the building obliquely.
I seem to remember a quote (tried to find it and failed) that said, in effect, the best way to defend a location was not necessarily to be in that location.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not too sure of that take per the INDEX: "Hexside (one of the six lines which combine to form a Hex; each hexside also contains two vertices)...". I believe the "only" reference in B23.711 (...the hexside (only — but with normal TEM) ...) notes only that hexside is breached and no other as the definition of hexside has not been changed.
Sorry...I was recalling the rules from RB on the breach of a factory interior wall. The RB breach of the factory walls has a few more rules/restrictions relative to fire, moving through, LOS through than the standard breach rules.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I seem to remember a quote (tried to find it and failed) that said, in effect, the best way to defend a location was not necessarily to be in that location.
Pitman has an article called the house down the street (or something similar) about defending buildings and has a whole section on using the adjacent buildings to defend the VC buildings

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure what you mean ?
Skulking kills DFire opportunities, meaning the ATTACKER has to weigh setting aside units in the PFPh (inc. OppFire) rather than having them move on objectives that were softened up during DFire. Especially with the current scenario design standard, skulking, especially early on in scenarios, can be problematic.