Red Factories miscellaneous stuff

Joelist

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Better to leave them as they are as they already work well
Pillboxes I lack a lot of scenario experience with. Fortified buildings I have more with and they don't truly work. The attacker can and does just small arms fire the defender out of their positions and then advance in. No real fire and movement and no real usage of breaching or other such tactics.

It occurs to me later designed ASL scenarios have fewer turns - perhaps a reason is to actually push the attacker to move up and not just sit back and gun the defender to death?

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
Generally if you're prepping you're not moving and as modern ASL meta is all about manoeuvre, the classic adage, You prep you Lose, tends to ring true.

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
That's the reality of a fortified building though.
If you want a better representation of the real tough nuts of the Barrikady, change them slightly to require a breach to enter regardless of whether the ground floor is occupied or not.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If you want a better representation of the real tough nuts of the Barrikady, change them slightly to require a breach to enter regardless of whether the ground floor is occupied or not.
Agree. Seems to me that the Fortified Building Locations rules perhaps do not accurately simulate the building historically in this particular scenario. More than that those rules are "broken" per se.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This "room" is forty meters across. That's 1385.64 square meters, 46.19 square meters per man for thirty men, or a square with sides of roughly 6.8 meters, 22.31 feet, per man. It's hard to call that crowded. Of course not all of that is usable space, but even in a straight line that's 40m, roughly 120 feet, of straight-line frontage.

JR
Also, remember that ASL 'levels' don't necessarily equate to building levels.

skarper

Reaction score
Country
ll
My 'solution' to skulking was to do away with defensive final fire. In defensive fire you can shoot at anybody who prep fires, moves or advancing fires. I don't use those terms in my system, but the principles are analogous. If you are the weaker side in a firefight you are often better off not drawing fire unless you get a high value target. This is fire discipline. Skulking does make sense but can look silly. Also, it depends a lot on the terrain and there is a glitch when foxholes are involved.

robh91

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
My 'solution' to skulking was to do away with defensive final fire. In defensive fire you can shoot at anybody who prep fires, moves or advancing fires. I don't use those terms in my system, but the principles are analogous. If you are the weaker side in a firefight you are often better off not drawing fire unless you get a high value target. This is fire discipline. Skulking does make sense but can look silly. Also, it depends a lot on the terrain and there is a glitch when foxholes are involved.
The other "solution" is to restrict the ability of a skulking unit to advance back into a firing position.