Red Factories miscellaneous stuff

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

Received RF last week, and a few questions came to mind, why are the maps folded as small as possible? Were the scenarios that had balance issues get revised? Why is the paper quality not as good as the original map? The counters of course look nice and are of the highest quality.

Scott734773477348

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
How is the paper qualify of the maps compared to Budapest and the GT map from Rising Sun?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Interesting comparison of the new and old RB map in that photo.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The last bid was pro German. I wonder if it has been updated.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A light glance at both old and new scenario cards reveals no real changes I could see were made. The old RB map is on nice thick paper where as the new maps are on slightly glossy and thinner paper quality. You can already see crease marks in the new maps.

Scott
The last bid was pro German. I wonder if it has been updated.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where any of the original RB rules changed in the reprint included in Red Factories?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The old RB map is on nice thick paper where as the new maps are on slightly glossy and thinner paper quality. You can already see crease marks in the new maps.
It is probably best to put the new map under some plexiglass and just leave it there. Or keep it folded up.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A light glance at both old and new scenario cards reveals no real changes I could see were made. The old RB map is on nice thick paper where as the new maps are on slightly glossy and thinner paper quality. You can already see crease marks in the new maps.

Scott
How does it compare to other recent MMP HASL maps?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One huge change I spotted in the RF rules: Kindling is NA for both RB and RO. So no more trying to burn down the map. Other then that, the rest of the rules are pretty much RB through out with a few rules for the RO factories, nothing complicated or crazy like say in FB. Essentially, you can get this on the table and play straight away with little to no fuss rules wise.

Scott

Are the changes documented in any way?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Are the changes documented in any way?
Don't think there is an official list yet.

But I made my own list of (more-or-less significant) changes when I was proofreading/editing the rules.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
One huge change I spotted in the RF rules: Kindling is NA for both RB and RO. So no more trying to burn down the map. Other then that, the rest of the rules are pretty much RB through out with a few rules for the RO factories, nothing complicated or crazy like say in FB. Essentially, you can get this on the table and play straight away with little to no fuss rules wise.
Rubble is now also Rout and Rally Terrain in RB, and the DEFENDER can declare H-t-H if he ambushes the ATTACKER. Plus the German Stuka RG get an additional aircraft (i.e., 2-4). I think those are the largest changes to the RF SSR.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Rubble is now also Rout and Rally Terrain in RB, and the DEFENDER can declare H-t-H if he ambushes the ATTACKER. Plus the German Stuka RG get an additional aircraft (i.e., 2-4). I think those are the largest changes to the RF SSR.
They are all valid changes....

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think making the rubble rally terrain will screw the russkies really bad since now they wont be able to fallback as far as they might have wanted too. Still, RB is flexible enough where you can if you like, ignore certain rules.

They are all valid changes....

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Scott
A couple of others I notice...
  1. Rubble is now route, rally, ambush and SF terrain. RF8
  2. Stukas receive one additional aircraft after you roll for entry and quantity. RF9

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A couple of others I notice...
  1. Rubble is now route, rally, ambush and SF terrain. RF8
  2. Stukas receive one additional aircraft after you roll for entry and quantity. RF9
IIRC, rubble was Ambush and SF terrain before as well.