Red Factories Date2

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The lockdown delayed this for something like 4 months but I've finally been able to pick it up again.

Briefly, as the Russians for the first date I went for maximum infantry - 3 companies and a 80mm mortar OBA for each map group. The German purchases were also largely infantry - it stacked up in total as something like 168 German vs 148 Russian squads (from memory). Because a large chunk of the Russian force was reserves (difficult to avoid with only 12CPP on the Red October map) it felt like more.

The Germans made good progress on the Red October map (where they start with 7 companies + 2 as reinforcements vs 3 Russian with 2 as reserves +1 as reinforcements. They made some but not much progress on the Red Barricades map. The total death toll was 61.5 Russian vs 54.5 German squads.

So...it wasn't terrible...but it wasn't great either.

The statistical analysis people in my brain said carry on like that and things will only get worse.

So I made a big call. Use an attack chit for Date2, gamble on Germans setting up first, abandon the Red October map in its entirety and attack on the Red Barricades map and hopefully recapture enough ground for the breathing space to last 5 dates.

It's a counsel of despair - if you win on the Barricades map and lose on the October map, its only a draw. But in my view clearly the Russian player gets the moral victory - all them german boys will be in a kessel soon enough and the whole campaign looks pretty pro-German. Playing for a draw seems achievable and for a brief period of say 3-4 turns (before the German reinforcements reach the front lines/the October forces redeploy) the Russians actually get numerical superiority and can attack.

We rolled and the Germans got to set up first.
To my disgust, Mark put what seemed like 2/3rd's of his forces on the Barricades map and only 1/3rd on the October map. I briefly considered switching the attack to the other map. However the Barricades map is easier to defend - we were using the historical overlays and I had all the Level 2 buildings around the Commissars House and the perimeter line was straight-ish. The October map ended with crazy salients and the Germans with the best terrain. I decided to stick with the plan. I later found out he'd put all his guns on the October map hoping to lure me out...

I bought 4 rifle companies (3 in reserve) - I would actually defend a very thin slice of the October Map on the border with the Barricades map - just enough space to put a company in reserve protected by mines. I bought a heavy weapon platoon for the Barricades map, two 80mm OBA modules (at 1 CPP each - use it till you run out) and something that wasn't revealed.

I think against a normal opponent such a strategy would have resulted in some mental consternation....but Mark shrugged when he saw my set up and said 'that's what I would have done'. He's a good player.

So...the Germans get first move. It means at least I get the last move, but it means his reinforcements are closer to any breakthrough point.

My attack doesn't go particularly well. Some bad shooting and close combat dice, my sewer troops get lost at crucial points, and both OBA modules get two reds so roll over into the next date. The Germans pull back a little, keep concealment where possible get reinforced. On the other hand I do have a 30 firepower kill stack which does a bit of damage. At Turn 3 I pretty much call off the attack with the death toll about 19 Russian vs 20 German squads. The Germans have bought no less than 5 companies of infantry as reinforcements and the 60 squads start to arrive.

He has very few toys - I even managed to capture an 81mm mortar that was too far forward - and there's a lot of short range sturm troops. I lose a small bit of the Barricades map but I outscore him on the casualties. Final death toll is 44 German vs 36 Russian squads.

Quite gentile by Stalingrad standards - reinforcements on both sides more than casualties. Headcount at the end was 97 Russian vs around 130 German squads. Across a fair chunk of the center of the Barricades map he's only advanced 1hex in 2 dates which I take some pride in. More on the flanks of course.

I'm moderately happy but I still think the Germans are in the driving seat. I had a lot of advantages for the 2nd date which won't be replicated. I'm setting up first. All 130 German squads will be concentrated around me to hit me hard from Turn1. And with so much infantry he can spare some for toys to neutralize my kill stacks or set up some of his own. He's been light on HMG's because he keeps buying Sturm Coys - and he hasn't bought Stukas yet which is just a foolish oversight considering the rule has been rewritten so you get 2-4 instead of 1 but still only 1 point. Its clear weather and I'm sure he will.

Date 3 starts on wednesday.

I've enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but I think it's very hard for the Russians. If I was the Germans I think I'd be doing much better and I still think I will lose it (although inflicting fearsome casualties). I think it would be better with a CVP cap for the Germans, quite a high one - maybe 450 CVP or so - but it would give the Russians a chance. (And as the German troops would have been used to attack the Lazur chemical factory after taking these maps it seems historical).

Anyway the 3rd date will be absolutely crucial - if I can survive that in reasonably okay state I'll have a chance - the Germans do have to sweep you off virtually the entire map, and there are limited infantry buys for dates 4 and 5.

Anyone else played this?

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"I think against a normal opponent such a strategy would have resulted in some mental consternation....but Mark shrugged when he saw my set up and said 'that's what I would have done'. He's a good player. "

Damning him with faint praise Craig :) Last time I looked he was the top UK player...........he's a great player. I played someone similar recently - Lionel Colin. His goal was to kill everything I had on the board. He and Mark should have a game.

You and Mark going to Blackpool in Nov? Hope things are going well in Liverpool.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Joe,

Well Mark is second after Toby .....but that means nothing in a derby game...

I'm sure I've played him more than anyone else - probably a couple of hundred times. I know all his tricks by now and I have something of an evil eye over him. I certainly don't win them all but I'd say comfortably over half. Although there have been different phases where each of us have been in the ascendancy. ..

The insane competitiveness between us has probably improved both our games.

And as I'm fond of pointing out to him, it's the trophies not the points that count!

If Blackpool is on I'm intending to go. But who knows.

Liverpool is fine - I have a World in Flames game on as well as ASL so as long as lockdown doesn't kybosh that I'm happy.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lockdown has had some unexpected consequences for me -
  • 5 VASL tournys so far for me this year.
  • It has given me a new opponent - Neil Brunger is now on VASL. Despite saying it would be over his dead body (his wife bought him a new laptop - what that says about the marriage I don't know :))
VASL is not the same as FtoF though - I find it more tiring.............

Get on VASL and enjoy lockdown if it happens again ?

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
When Craig describes Mark as a good player rather than an excellent player I believe he is taking his personality into account too.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It has given me a new opponent - Neil Brunger is now on VASL. Despite saying it would be over his dead body (his wife bought him a new laptop - what that says about the marriage I don't know :))
This gives a whole new twist to Zombie ASL (I think Psycho is the designer of some notorious scenarios...).

About the marriage it would tell that love conquers all and even prevails over and outlives death.

von Marwitz

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Well we finished Date3 a few weeks ago but I’m only just getting round to typing it up. I was expecting it to be unpleasant for the Russians and it was, but I didn’t really comprehend how bad it was going to be.

On the Red Barricades map, I’d bought the last of my cheap infantry – two SMG companies, one (depleted) in reserve and one as reinforcements. I started with 97 squads and those 16 made it 113. With my remaining points I bought 120mm OBA with two pre-reg hexes (you really want those 2 extra black chits if you’re going to spend that many points) and 4 points of fortifications. I had two 80mm OBA modules rolled over from the previous date for double red chits so took one of them.

It’s not completely clear from the rules in the joint campaign what happens when the German player satisfies the VC’s on one map group. We’ve played that both sides still get CPP but it has to come on that map, and move over. I certainly bought some more stuff on the Red October map (well retained offmap) but I can’t tell you what it was because of maskirovka.

In the opposing corner there were 132 German squads plus I saw 3 companies in reserve (probably but not certainly 2 Sturm on the October map and 1 Rifle on the Barricades map).

I defended forward because I’d managed to do so with some success on the first two dates, and also you have to as it’s only 10-12 hexes to reach the Volga. My defence was centred around 3 HIP kill stacks with 9-2 leaders and 3xHMG, 3xMMG each.
My kill stacks the previous date caused the bulk of German casualties and were not really dealt with by my opponent. Although there were lots of German 9-2’s, he’d only really put one kill stack together. His previous buys were Sturm company heavy so lots of 5-4-8s with LMG’s and DC’s, not so much on the HMG’s.

I couldn’t expect that to continue – all his Red October forces and guns would now be on the other side. Plus he’s not stupid by any means – I expected a change in tactics to deal with them. As the Russians you have to balance fields of fire with how much lead is coming the other way. One kill stack was on ground level in the storage tanks. One in the kindergarten at Level1 which could fire north or south but was protected by buildings directly in front. The last one in the Kretzhaus at Level1 right at the back.
Red Factories comes with a number of historical overlays which change the look of the old Red Barricades map. We played all of them which helps the Russians out a bit. There’s now a line of Level2 buildings – Kindergarten – Apothecary – Commissars House, and another the Kretzhaus a little way behind. This is the core of the Russian defence area – if I played this again all my fortifications would be in and around here. Once it falls the games up.

The battle opened with two lots of Nebelwerfers hitting the Kindergarten and the buildings immediately behind it. Yes the Red Barricade Germans can only buy one module but the Red October Germans can have an observer for another module in the Burg at level 2 that can see into your backfield. It can fire into the Red Barricades map just not pre-reg there. Or at least that’s what Mark told me he’d secretly checked beforehand when he pulled the stunt.

The RO Nebelwerfers deviated full distance but in a very nice way right onto the Kindergarten. Everyone manning the kill stack broke as did lots of others in the vicinity. The other one hit a turn later with some overlap but affected fewer people. Overall I lost something like 4 squads including the crew of a 76L gun and plenty broken. In the first two turns I also rolled – no exaggeration - something like ten ‘12’s on rallies. The Germans stormed forward like orcs with the whips of Sauron at their backs. What was immediately depressing was not just the guns and flamethrowers but the fact the many many 5-4-8s and 8-3-8’s with LMG’s could easily put together seven or eight 20-30 firepower attacks in the advance fire phase. +3 TEM was just not enough and huge swathes of my line was broken or double-broken. In the first turn I lost 16 squads to 7.

I had to pull back, and worse two of my kill stacks were Smoked in by Stugs, while the 3rd saw the 9-2 and four of six crews break to a 50mm mortar shot. I was getting some digs back – a Set DC killed 3 squads, the kill stacks knocked off a few before becoming ineffective, and my OBA took a toll. Well the 80mm OBA only got one mission before the observer was hit by a 150mm infantry gun critical hit. Not much left after that.

It looked like a Russian collapse was inevitable but as the mid-game went on Russians fought desperately – giving ground but exacting a price. I was helped that his guns were now out of position except to fire at upper levels. Also his kill stacks had some dreadful rolls – a couple of 12’s malfing lots of machine guns. My 120mm OBA broke one lot but I couldn’t keep firing at them as there were multiple crisis elsewhere. My kill stacks got back into the game by rallying/repositioning. Both of us were absolutely ruthless in taking out broken units – as soon as a unit was broken everyone fired at him to get casualty reductions. There were very limited opportunities for skulking. Most of the defenders were prepping on the basis that lots of rolls equalled more chances for snipers/booby traps.

Despite this I couldn’t avoid giving up huge amounts of ground and I was losing (slightly) more men. As the Germans started with more troops the maths isn’t too hard to work out. Overall the luck evened out – but only from a macro-economic perspective. At various times both of us felt deserted by the dice gods for extended periods. There were some high points. A 4-2-6 passed every morale check and kept most of the German army back for a turn before dying the next turn. I held the Kindergarten by breaking everyone who came in – fortified building hex or not. But I held on to the wooden houses on my left too long and probably should have evacuated 4-5 squads off the map edge when I could who ended up dead. I was praying for the date to end but it went 7 turns.

In total I lost 76 squads and killed 59.5 squads. Given the disparity in troop quality and firepower I regard that as an achievement. I actually inflicted more CVP as I killed 20 leaders vs 10 (all the 9-2 leaders on both sides survived), and 7 crews vs 3 and also killed two StugB’s. We didn’t quite finish the refit phase before a Liverpool Covid lockdown prevented further play. So I have some escape rolls and wounded leaders to roll for yet, but effectively the CVP will be pretty level.

Despite what I think is a pretty good show, I’d rate the Russian chances of lasting through the 4th date as less than 3%. The Germans have the Commissars House, 1 hex of the 3 hex Apothecary – making setting up in there grimly dangerous. If I understand the refit phase correctly the blazes behind the Kindergarten will automatically spread into it. It’s one unburned hex will have 2 blazes behind it and Germans adjacent in front – so effectively it’s gone too.

I have 37 squads + whatever I bought on the RO map, so say 50-60 squads vs maybe 105-110 German squads. Due to the historical modifier of +1 we can both get a company on each map group. However my footprint on the map is now tiny – I literally have no room before the Germans can reach their objectives. I will of course fight on and look to kill as many Hitlerites as I can.

Over 5 campaign dates the Germans only have to advance on average 1hex every 2 turns. Delay isn’t practical – you have to kill them in large numbers. Reclaiming lost ground is very hard due to the German firepower advantages. Once it’s lost it tends to stay lost. I made some local counterattacks on Dates 1 and 2 with modest success but it gets harder as the campaign progresses. Also I think that was only possible because the Germans never bought Stuka’s. The change that you get 2-4 Stukas instead of 1 for the same one CPP cost is huge.
Over three dates the total squad death toll is 173.5 Russian vs 158 German or a kill ratio of 1.1 to 1. I feel that’s not a bad effort but even so I have zero chance of holding out for a draw. (I couldn’t win as the Germans only have to meet the VC conditions once on the RO map).

I’m trying to be objective – I hate losing especially to Mark and aware this may be trying to rationalize my defeat – but damn this CG seems unbalanced. Of course you don’t know till you play both sides – which we are eventually going to do. But to quote Gandalf on the ring ‘one last proof remains but I no longer doubt my guess’

The problem I think is the RO half of the battle. RB CGII is very tough on the Russians on its own, but once RO falls – 2 dates in most cases - all that German stuff can shift over and it’s too much. It may be more balanced with two less experienced players and a German player who doesn’t all out attack. I think its fixable with a German CVP cap. I have enjoyed it more than I thought I would although there are definitely better campaigns – possibly more than my opponent who has been frustrated. I keep telling him the Germans shouldn’t enjoy Stalingrad…I will when I get to go them though…

....which unfortunately with Covid is going to be a long long time away...