Red Factories Countermix

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So theoretically one could combine the two and make a very large campaign game. Just a thought.
Actually, no.
The Mamayev Kurgan and Lazur chemical works occupy quite a large area of real estate between the Barrikady and central Stalingrad. As far as I know, only CH makes a map for Mamayev Kurgan, and I would bet dollars to donuts that it will not match up with any other existing map.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Nor rainy days, they always get me down.
Never one to guess at jrv's chicanery, I took his response as a semi-obscure Boomtown Rats reference. Preferring their early-punk sound of such songs as "Lookin' After #1", I did not care for the sound of "I Don't Like Mondays". IIRC, it was written about the massacre of US schoolchildren in a school-shooting back in the late-70s/early-80s. Very depressing ballad which I also believe enjoyed a small chart success. The perpetrator's response when questioned was, "I don't like Mondays."

gulliver62

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Never one to guess at jrv's chicanery, I took his response as a semi-obscure Boomtown Rats reference. Preferring their early-punk sound of such songs as "Lookin' After #1", I did not care for the sound of "I Don't Like Mondays". IIRC, it was written about the massacre of US schoolchildren in a school-shooting back in the late-70s/early-80s. Very depressing ballad which I also believe enjoyed a small chart success. The perpetrator's response when questioned was, "I don't like Mondays."
Bob Geldof, hadn't listened to any of that in a while. Time to hit Spotify. I'm guessing Bob isn't an ASL player but who knows.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would make an interesting article for one of the journals if one took a map of Stalingrad and outlined the various areas in which these HASLs or scenarios packs took place along with a narrative that tied them all together historically. I've read books about the overall battle and read accounts of the actions that took place in the various areas but to tie it all together with the games would be cool.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dont think MMP has ever released a major module(s) on a non Winter Offensive date. KWASL it looks like is getting released for WO 18 and next up will be RF at WO 19. Maybe a core reprint thrown in on one of those WO dates.

LHMG

Reaction score
I dont think MMP has ever released a major module(s) on a non Winter Offensive date. KWASL it looks like is getting released for WO 18 and next up will be RF at WO 19. Maybe a core reprint thrown in on one of those WO dates.
What is KWASL and RF is Red Factories I take it. Wow not until 2019. Holy Cow. I am not going to live long enough to get all the core modules apparently. :-(

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Korean War ASL 1950+ battles. MMP stated somewhere that it will go to print this year, what that means is it goes to print probably in november or december 2017 and will get mailed out after WO. So yes it is getting printed this year, but it does not mean it will be released this year. MMP said RF goes to print in 2018 which means it goes to the printer in Nov or Dec 2018 and gets released at WO in 2019. This is how MMP has always released major ASL modules as far as I can remember.

What is KWASL and RF is Red Factories I take it. Wow not until 2019. Holy Cow. I am not going to live long enough to get all the core modules apparently. :-(

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Player 1 : "I want those black SS counters in Red October !"
Player 2 : "You won't have them."
Player 1 : "Waaah ! You PC sissie, get over your moralistic considerations !"
Player 2 : "There weren't SS units in Stalingrad."
Player 1 : "Wot ? I thought that Stalingrad was cool ?"
Player 2 : "It is, but without SS."
Player 1 : "Hardly imaginable."
Player 2 : "Well, you have big factories, debris, fortified cellars, some additional German toys, NKVD troops, hosts of Sturmpionier units..."
Player 1 : "Tigers ! I want Tigers !"
Player 2 : "I said no SS, so no Tigers... and it was too early in the war for them."
Player 1 : "I now understand why the Germans didn't win the Stalingrad campaign : the SS would have !"
Player 2 : "...As at Kursk, in Normandy, in the Bulge and in Berlin."
Player 1 : "Exactly !"
Player 2 : "Are you sure that playing a wargame enhances your grasp of History ?"

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
There is a gap between the RB+RO (RF) combination and the VotG map areas. As far as I recall the two are not too well aligned, to boot. You would need an odd trapezoid map section to join RF and VotG, roughly the size of the VotG map.
That would not even begin to fill in the gap.

Central Stalingrad is many, many miles south of the Factories. The City of Stalingrad is big. Really big. You thought it was a long way to the Chemist's Shop? No, it's even further than that.

It's not just a matter of physical distance, either. The battle for the Central Stalingrad area was essentially over weeks before the battles for the Factories began. Not only is it totally impractical to join the maps of the two regions at ASL scale, there's no sensible reason (in terms of a historical CG) to even make the attempt.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
... Central Stalingrad is many, many miles south of the Factories. The City of Stalingrad is big. Really big. You thought it was a long way to the Chemist's Shop? No, it's even further than that.

It's not just a matter of physical distance, either. The battle for the Central Stalingrad area was essentially over weeks before the battles for the Factories began. Not only is it totally impractical to join the maps of the two regions at ASL scale, there's no sensible reason (in terms of a historical CG) to even make the attempt.
Actually, it's about 3.5 clicks from the southern end of the Red October complex to the Central Station. But yes, these really are two separate battles.

Stalingrad_Lage1942.09.14-26.jpg

Stalingrad_Lage1942.09.27-10.03.jpg

LHMG

Reaction score
how far south to the grain silo and those battles

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The grain silo is about 5.4 km south-west of Pavlov's House, which would make it about 3.4 km south-west of the south end of Valor of the Guards map.

JR

LHMG

Reaction score
Anyone do a game for that area of the battle.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone do a game for that area of the battle.
IIRC, Critical Hit included a copy of the grain elevator map in one of their magazines from back in the 90's. I have a copy packed away somewhere, although I never played it. The map covered a rather small area, and the art work was quite crude compared to MMP's HASL maps.