Red Factories CG I questions

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see where it says each RG purchase is made on a "per map group" basis...and those RGs must initially setup on or enter on that map group. No problem with that regarding Infantry/AFVs/Guns/Forts/OBA

What about SAN? I'm going to assume that if one map group purchases SAN increase that it applies across the entire MAP unless somebody says otherwise.

Also...what about MOL-capability? If one map group purchases it does everybody across the entire MAP get the capability? Or just the units on the map group that bought it?

Thanks,

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Wild guess and in no way with rules justification: SAN & MOL must be purchased on both map groups simultaneously.

JR

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wild guess and in no way with rules justification: SAN & MOL must be purchased on both map groups simultaneously.

JR
I have no problem playing it that way...just would like to make sure of the designer's intent.

Thanks,

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

JR
I hope they rule it this way otherwise you effectively half the cost of purchase.
If they rule you can buy per mapgroup, it is almost as badL

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Play tested it as written. You purchase per map group. If the RO map group bought MOL and the RB map group did not buy MOL then you have no MOL on the RB map. Same with Snipers.

If you would prefer to not keep track of the SAN/MOL differential, then purchase them with points from both map groups simultaneously. I can only recall one time that there was not a simultaneous purchase and the bookkeeping was not too bad (It was SAN disparity). The RB player had extra points and upped his SAN to 4, while the RO SAN was a 3. We played that a 3 could activate only the RO Snipers and a 4 could activate only the RB snipers. It was made a little more difficult when the RO Sniper was reduced, and we played it with the RO SAN as 2 and the RB SAN the original 4.
Again, if you don't want this added granularity, just play as if the SAN/MOL is linked across both map groups and any SAN reduction effects all SAN for that side.

I can see where this should have been included in the combined CG rules. MMP will have an answer as soon as they mull the options/side effects over, I am sure.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That does raise the question of whether the SANs are reduced separately or together when hit by the enemy SAN or by a Sniper Check. Plus, can the "different" snipers move to the "other" map group, either by player action or by natural drift?

If the MOLs are separate, does a unit gain MOL by moving across the boundary, or is the ability inherent to the unit based on which map it set up on and must be tracked when a unit crosses the boundary? If MOL capability is based on the unit's map, I assume that it would be based on the firer's hex and not the target's (it might be nice to double-check). If MOL capability is separate, the two map groups overlap. Which map group should be placed on top? Can this be changed during the scenario? During the CG? By whom? What about half-hexes: if one map group is MOL-enabled and the other not, can a unit in that hex use MOL?

JR

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Play tested it as written. You purchase per map group. If the RO map group bought MOL and the RB map group did not buy MOL then you have no MOL on the RB map. Same with Snipers.

If you would prefer to not keep track of the SAN/MOL differential, then purchase them with points from both map groups simultaneously. I can only recall one time that there was not a simultaneous purchase and the bookkeeping was not too bad (It was SAN disparity). The RB player had extra points and upped his SAN to 4, while the RO SAN was a 3. We played that a 3 could activate only the RO Snipers and a 4 could activate only the RB snipers. It was made a little more difficult when the RO Sniper was reduced, and we played it with the RO SAN as 2 and the RB SAN the original 4.
Again, if you don't want this added granularity, just play as if the SAN/MOL is linked across both map groups and any SAN reduction effects all SAN for that side.

I can see where this should have been included in the combined CG rules. MMP will have an answer as soon as they mull the options/side effects over, I am sure.
Thanks for the explanation...

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That does raise the question of whether the SANs are reduced separately or together when hit by the enemy SAN or by a Sniper Check. Plus, can the "different" snipers move to the "other" map group, either by player action or by natural drift?

As I said in my post, the SAN were played as completely separate. what happens to RB SAN has no effect on RO SAN and vice versa. We didn't allow Snipers to move to other map groups.

If the MOLs are separate, does a unit gain MOL by moving across the boundary, or is the ability inherent to the unit based on which map it set up on and must be tracked when a unit crosses the boundary?

As we played it in playtest; No, Yes.

If MOL capability is based on the unit's map, I assume that it would be based on the firer's hex and not the target's (it might be nice to double-check).

Played based on the unit when purchased, not the location.

If MOL capability is separate, the two map groups overlap. Which map group should be placed on top? Can this be changed during the scenario? During the CG? By whom? What about half-hexes: if one map group is MOL-enabled and the other not, can a unit in that hex use MOL?

No idea what you are asking here. As we play tested it, the MOL was UNIT specific when purchased.

JR
Keeping track to such level of granularity may not be for some.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Keeping track to such level of granularity may not be for some.
I'm not sure how you can avoid it with different SANs for different boards and/or enabling/disabling MOL per board.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Having sniper counters displaying the SAN would be useful in such a case.

rryeates

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure how my picture changed but I will go with it. Going forward you can call me Grandy.

Anyway, found this thread helpful and seems like deserves an official Q&A (I did not find this). I also think the Stuka RG should be considered for clarification as well. If I buy Stuka on RO can I use them on the RB map set? Sure I have to initially place them on the RO map set, but can they then be used to attack targets on the RB map set? The rules don't seem to prohibit it but it does not feel right given the way the snipers were played during PT. Curious how Stuka's should be played. TIA. Grandy