Red Dead Redemption

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got this game awhile back from this one guy at somewhere and I just had it in my room and haven't been really playing it until Friday. This is one of the best games I have ever played after Tetris. I love this game, there is so many options in it, you can be good, you can be bad, you can hunt. you can help strangers or kill them, you can just free roam (kind of like Grand Theft Auto but in the late 1800's). The whole point of the game is there is a guy, John Marstian (the main character) he goes out and tries to find 2 of his former gang members that he was in from this gang after they betrayed him, Bill and Javier... John goes starts off in the United States, helping people out in their random shenanigans, you get to know John Marstin more and sort of get attached to his character, kind of learn about his background, then he heads down to Mexico where the game gets really good, the annoying thing is, that while you are in Mexico, every single mission cutscene is 90% spanish.. The only upside for me is that I speak Italian so I could make out some words, but I am only as far as 8 missions into Mexico right now so I can't really say more but as of now I sooooo recommend this game to any gamer.

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree. This game is immense and you get sucked into. I played the other night, and suddenly realized it was almost 3am and I had to go to work in a few hours.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree as well. It's a lot of fun and I spent more time dicking around than actually doing the storyline to be honest. Though I can only play it when my brother brings his 360 back from his school it was definitely a lot of fun!

However, I do think that the multiplayer could use a lot of improvement. What was missing imho was a coop for two people to play together at the same time in single player and the online version just felt like it was too player friendly and attacking bandit hideouts got boring after only so long (I never got a chance to try the other modes).

If this game was released for the PC I think the potential mods for this game would be just great!

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree. This game is immense and you get sucked into. I played the other night, and suddenly realized it was almost 3am and I had to go to work in a few hours.
Yeah dude, I spend more time ****ing around on my way to missions than I do the actual missions.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you think we'll ever see a PC version? I would love a Western on the PC. All we've got is Lead and Gold atm. Maybe that Six Gun Saga will be decent.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been doing some sleuthing, and I found out that there is some...what does the CIA call it? Oh, yeah..."chatter" about Red Dead Redemption being released for the PC in March. Sources:

1) A Swiss online games retailer taking pre-orders for a March release
2) A seemingly authoritative post by a supposed Rockstar insider who repeated a March release date

This is all pretty thin - I tried to trace down these "sources" but wound up chasing my tail ('product not found' at the Swiss retailer and couldn't find the original thread for the RS insider). Still, an announcement for March wouldn't surprise me as March-April seems to be a pretty big month for PC releases this year.

Guess we'll see. If March is the month, I can't imagine RS waiting much longer for the announcement. I figure if there is no announcement by the end of January, it is just an unfounded rumor as RS will need at least two months to get the PR machine going full speed. :)

Update: The "authoritative post" was actually a Tweet from a gaming industry insider (he seems to know a lot about personnel and projects at various studios without revealing his ID) that mentions a PC port for RDR being underway.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So I finished the game and have to ask. Did anyone else feel let down? It just seemed that the last 6 or so missions were very anti-climatic. Overall the game was fantastic, but the end game was an afterthought.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am curious why. Do you think a mouse and keyboard wouldn't do the game justice? Something else?

I ask because I tried the PC port of GTAIV and thought it was very disappointing. The controls and graphics were all substandard, making the game unplayable IMHO. I hope they don't do such an awful job with RDR.

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am curious why. Do you think a mouse and keyboard wouldn't do the game justice? Something else?
I think the mouse/keyboard would be pretty boring pretty quick. There are a lot of sequences where you need multiple buttons and I am not sure how well that would port. Who knows though, I don't play many games of my computer as I gave up chasing the latest and greatest hardware.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's what worries me. RDR seems very action heavy and if they don't find a way to port the controls in just the right way, the game could become a mess of tangled fingers. Ouch!

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I ask because I tried the PC port of GTAIV and thought it was very disappointing. The controls and graphics were all substandard, making the game unplayable IMHO. I hope they don't do such an awful job with RDR.
Well, considering that Red Dead Redemption is almost the same engine as Grand Theft Auto 4, it will be the same experience.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's not the engine that is the problem, it's the time and effort put into converting the UI to better serve a mouse and keyboard over a controller. It was clear in GTAIV that hardly any effort was put into it at all. RS just did the minimum and left it at that, I guess with the assumption that PC gamers would just go out and purchase a controller.

I don't think they will try to get away with that again. If they keep releasing sloppy ports, nobody is going to buy them and they will have wasted what little money they invested to make the port. Furthermore, based on the vids I've seen of RDR, I don't think releasing such a sloppy port is even feasible as this game seems much more dependent on tight controls than GTAIV ever was. Also, RDR has a much more visually artistic setting, so not including anti-aliasing and other graphics settings PC gamers are accustomed to will be a real drawback to such a game.

SkaterMcgee

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think what I meant, but is still in my words, just probably not worded correctly is that is will probably be converted the same way since its kind of the same concept as far as controls go.