red barricades differences old and new

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, I'm preparing to play One down two to go from RB and I noticed something since I have new and old modules the original scenario is all on one side of the scenario card while the "newer" version covers two scenario cards yet with exact same OB, and rules. The difference I guess is is in font size but the old version is more manageable as it is one sided. I know we oldies have old tired eyes but I dont see the need for a double card anyway thats my rant your thoughts?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
So, I'm preparing to play One down two to go from RB and I noticed something since I have new and old modules the original scenario is all on one side of the scenario card while the "newer" version covers two scenario cards yet with exact same OB, and rules. The difference I guess is is in font size but the old version is more manageable as it is one sided. I know we oldies have old tired eyes but I dont see the need for a double card anyway thats my rant your thoughts?
Is there a noticeable difference in the font size? I don't have the new one to check but I am curious. May bdig out the scenario. 🤔

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Dug out my copy of the original scenario.

First my commendations for tackling this! 47 Russian squads, 32 German plus all their paraphernalia and an armored cupola! What a tasty little sucker this one is. Have fun with it.🥰

Secondly I can't see putting it on two cards. It may be a little " busy " but all pretty clear. Very old school if you think about some SL scenarios.

I wonder if it was arbitrary or something MMP felt was necessary?

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The management layout of scenarios have been down-graded the last years, with cramped-packed SSRs, despite
the space available on most of the A4 cards. The trend towards 2-page scenarios have gone through the roof,
Believe the blame is upon MMP "new" bad work approach and perhaps due to VASL.

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rock on Mike. This is a great scenario. It's been a long time since I've played this. It's been on my long list of replay. pjn

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
The difference I guess is is in font size but the old version is more manageable as it is one sided. I know we oldies have old tired eyes but I dont see the need for a double card anyway thats my rant your thoughts?
The font size is exactly the same, the new two-sided version is made worse by having the SSR and the Aftermath stretched out all across the card.
The picture in the link below, makes it transparent that MMP do not put much work into the scenario lay out like the people at Avalon Hill used to do.
RB1 One Down, Two To Go - AAR - ASL Sweden Forum

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I'm try
Beats the alternative. And we're seeing enough of that in the ASL Bell Tolls section.
I'm trying to avoid that thread for as long as I can, I want to see both a Dispatch #75 and a Dispatch #100. ;)

The first looks quite possible, the 2nd, we'll see. :)

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cost of maps went down, we got more maps. Cost of printing has gone down (at least the courts think so), so using 2 pages instead of 1 makes sense. Cost, aesthetics, etc. The new stuff is better looking, starting with the counters and including the scenario cards. That and my old ones are dingy in appearance. The new cards are like a fresh coat of paint.

Now if I could just get my wife to stop remodeling the interior of our home.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Cost of maps went down, we got more maps. Cost of printing has gone down (at least the courts think so), so using 2 pages instead of 1 makes sense. Cost, aesthetics, etc. The new stuff is better looking, starting with the counters and including the scenario cards. That and my old ones are dingy in appearance. The new cards are like a fresh coat of paint.

Now if I could just get my wife to stop remodeling the interior of our home.
Good luck with stopping a wife from redecorating. It's never worked with Actiondebbie. 🙄

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Good luck with stopping a wife from redecorating. It's never worked with Actiondebbie. 🙄
Nor with mine, I'm still trying to re-organize the aftermath of our move from a year and a half ago.

My game room is my only real sanctuary where I get to organize and play as I wish.

Now that the pandemic is winding down up this way, I just need to get some players to come to Pittsfield, MA some day to roll dice again.

At least I get to see Tom and Ralph again this weekend...