Red Barricades: BV2nd ed or components?

Nat Mallet

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've been told that Red Barricades is an absolute must buy for ASL. Unfortunately, it's now packaged with BV2nd ed, which is very hard to find.

Miraculously, I've found it in town, shrink wrapped and all. But it's 120$ CND. I've checked the MMP site, and I could get all of the Red Barricades components for about 40$ CND.

The 80$ savings could go to purchase other modules, since I only have a very few modules ( All of the Squad Leader modules, ASLRB 2nd ed, BV 1st ed, Yanks, Para, FKaC (whenever that ships) ).

Has anyone ordered the components for a game from MMP before? How's the mail order service for in-stock products? Should I go for some other module first, like Code of Bushido or Gung Ho?

Thanks for the advice,

Nat

spb

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only components I've bought directly from MMP are maps. As I recall, the order
was filled in a couple days (although UPS ground took another week or so to deliver
it). The maps were packed more than adequately, and arrived in pristine condition.

That being said, I'm not sure how the math is working out for you, but the way
I figure it, the components for RB (less the chapter divider) work out to US$35:

$10 Module Rules (Chapter 0)
$10 Mapsheets ($5 for RB North and $5 for RB South)
$10 Counters ($5 each for 2 counter sheets)
$5 Scenarios (RB1 - RB7)
-----
$35 Total

I think that works out to something like CA$53. Still a heck of a lot cheaper than the $120 for BV 2nd.

I'd still go for RB over CoB or GH, mind you. Indeed, I've recently had to replace almost
all of my ASL stuff, and I bought a copy of BV 2nd as soon as I could find one, but
haven't seriously considered picking up any of the PTO stuff.

Part of it is not having to deal with all the PTO rules. I suppose they're not -too- bad,
and I actually like amphibious landings and banzai charges as game elements. On
the other hand, I don't particularly like fiddling around with all the variant terrain types.
And overlays. Is it just me, or do PTO scenarios have a disproportionatly high number
of overlays?

And I think PTO scenarios tend to degenerate into slugfests because of all the TEM/
movement restrictions. Or at least it feels that way. If that's your thing, then maybe
you'll really dig CoB and GH. Me, prefer scenarios with more opportunity for manoeuvre.
Clearly this could just be a personal bias/tactical shortcoming on my part, but most
PTO scenarios have seemed more claustrophobic than most ETO scenarios (and
of course anything in the NA theatre).

And part of my favouring RB has to be personal bias, because most of my family is
originally from Poland. What could be better than Nazis and Cossacks blowing the crap
out of each other?

-spb `The good news is that your two mortal enemies have decided to pound the
stuffing out of each other. The bad news is that they're coming over to your place to
do it'

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
spb said:
That being said, I'm not sure how the math is working out for you, but the way
I figure it, the components for RB (less the chapter divider) work out to US$35:

$10 Module Rules (Chapter 0)
$10 Mapsheets ($5 for RB North and $5 for RB South)
$10 Counters ($5 each for 2 counter sheets)
$5 Scenarios (RB1 - RB7)
-----
$35 Total
There are three sheets of RB counters, IIRC.

Wayne

Nat Mallet

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The MMP website didn't mention anything about counters for RB, although I did think 12 counter sheets for BV 2nd ed was more than I remembered for BV 1st ed.

The ETO is my prefered area of operation, but I find there are an awful lot of scenarios depicting the PTO as well.

Just out of curiosity, are the amphibious assault rules used in ETO operations that require it, like Normady for example?

Decisions, decisions.

Nat

Patton1138

Reaction score
Yeah, the amphibious assaults rules are all in Ch G. Although, I can't offhand think of any scenarios that have ETO assaults... Anyone else know of one? My vote, go with RB. You won't regret it. You'll probably end up getting the PTO stuff sooner or later, and later won't hurt.

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Patton1138 said:
Yeah, the amphibious assaults rules are all in Ch G. Although, I can't offhand think of any scenarios that have ETO assaults... Anyone else know of one?
"Mike Red" (A79, I think), from the 95 Annual is a seaborne assault, depicting the Canadians attacking on Juno Beach. I can't recall if there are other official scenarios, but I think CH has a couple as well. In addition, the last Journal has a SASL Omaha Beach mission using those rules as well.

Pete