Red Army Shtraftbat TOE

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello:

I've been websurfing again & stumbled upon this ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtrafbat .. Soviet "Penal troops." So these would probably be represented by 426 conscripts (though I could be wrong?). However, the search for any kind of TOE below the company level is coming up boxcars again. It's easy enough for me to find very broad high level references "the 10,000 foot view" type material, but it's really hard to get to the more "meat & potatoes" small unit organizations. The best I could find is the wikipedia article which mentioned Shtraftbat companies numbered 150 to 200 men (pretty freaking broad to me). Compared to red army early '41 rifle companies that numbered about 144 men in 3 platoons + support elements (according to one reference anyway). Is there any reason to assume these differ drastically as to the organization & equipment of their 1st line Red Army comrades, and if so what exactly??

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Hello:

I've been websurfing again & stumbled upon this ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtrafbat .. Soviet "Penal troops." So these would probably be represented by 426 conscripts (though I could be wrong?). However, the search for any kind of TOE below the company level is coming up boxcars again. It's easy enough for me to find very broad high level references "the 10,000 foot view" type material, but it's really hard to get to the more "meat & potatoes" small unit organizations. The best I could find is the wikipedia article which mentioned Shtraftbat companies numbered 150 to 200 men (pretty freaking broad to me). Compared to red army early '41 rifle companies that numbered about 144 men in 3 platoons + support elements (according to one reference anyway). Is there any reason to assume these differ drastically as to the organization & equipment of their 1st line Red Army comrades, and if so what exactly??
Interesting subject. 🤔

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello:

I have been interested in Russian and German punishment units myself. From what I have read, I doubt there was a hard and fast TOE. Not that in the real world there every really was, but I imagine these units were made up of whomever was unlucky enough to P. O. the C. O. at that time.

Not much help, I know.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You may want to look at the records and information about the 112th and 308th Rifle Divisions during the Stalingrad battle. Interestingly though both units were in heavy fighting throughout the battle. The 112th would be employed at Mamaev Kurgan area and the Krasnyi Octiabr Factory district, notably in and to the south of the Bread Factory district where it fought the 100th Jager Division to a stand-still; While the 308th would see the major portion of its combat in the Barrikady Village and the Red Barrikady Factory District. Interestingly neither of these divisions were ever elevated to Guards status nor received any unit citations for their actions for the Battle of Stalingrad. Add to this their commanders never progressed beyond divisional command nor were awarded recognition other than the Stalingrad Campaign Medal and it does leave one wondering as to what Kerr, Glantz and others have insinuated.

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Goes to show, you can do a good job and still not be rewarded for it.
Or more scrutiny is directed towards you.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Goes to show, you can do a good job and still not be rewarded for it.
Or more scrutiny is directed towards you.
Perhaps it was felt that giving any credit to them was counter to the purpose of the units, punishment and deterrence. Might also indicate the State had made a mistake.