Red Army Armored Train Units --

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How should they do used effectively? I have yet to figure out how to use them to good effect.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dig them in in a city? I dunno, this is the only scenario that I've seen armoured trains that were not artillery.

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I'd suppose they'd be of little use in a war with a major power in 1939, so I didn't even touch them so far ... but I hear they were quite effective in the Russian civil war. Of course that's two decades earlier.

sapper32

Reaction score
Country
ll
I have moved mine forward but have so far not decided how to use them,maybe they will just slow the Axis down a little??

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Just chrome to be perfectly frank: the Russians did use them in WWII but at this scale they're no use at all in isolation, just speed bumps, never getting above '1 - 2' even at full strength and supply. Very low recon capability. They can block guerillas and other very weak units. And they have got huge moves, so are quite handy for emergency mass rail bridge blowing, although that's clearly a one-way trip and you need to plan their routes carefully.

Sorry.

Raver

TOAW Ironman
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Forget that last one: if they blow their own rail hex they won't be going anywhere, will they...:clown:
Remind me not to take a train ride with you any time soon.

I tend to use the armoured trains to create hard points in hexes that are of particular importance. Kiev is a favourite. I find them particularly good once in fortified status - they're often the last unit to be forced to retreat from a hex.