Recovering SW from broken unit

FlatPackFred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A leader and a squad that posseses a 1pp SW are fired on in Defensive First Fire. The leader passes (unpinned) and the squad squad breaks. Can the leader try and recover the SW on a dr<6 within the same movement phase of those units. ? [Rule ref: A4.44 Recovery]

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes, since the SMC has not completed its MPh. This can be inferred from the following Q&A:

A4.44 - Situation: a stack composed by a squad with a DC and a leader is assault moving. They spend 2 MF trying to place the DC, but the defender reacts with first fire and the squad breaks. The leader can now recover (A4.44) the DC without MF expenditure and residual FP attack. After that, the leader, still assault moving and with sufficient MFs tries to place himself the DC. Is this scenario allowed?
A. No, that would be portaging the DC more than once; A4.4

So, once the SW is recovered, the SMC cannot carry it any further.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Adding to Doug's response -- if the leader has one more MF to expend.
Don't believe it costs a MF to grab it from a broken unit...

A4.44:
"...Only a SMC can Recover a SW/Gun possessed by a friendly broken unit, and does this by rolling a Recovery Final dr of < 6 (Δ) in its RPh/MPh without need of MF expenditure..."

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Given this foes not incur a MF expenditure, I assume no residual attack would occur.

FlatPackFred

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thank you all - and for the impressively fast response. I thought this might be the case - but had no idea that a SW could not be portaged more than once per phase.

A quick follow up: if the leader had pinned could he still have taken the SW? I think he might as the PIN rule [A7.8] simply states that the the pinned unit "may not move/advance further during that player turn" - it doesn't say that the units MPh is ended.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A quick follow up: if the leader had pinned could he still have taken the SW? I think he might as the PIN rule [A7.8] simply states that the the pinned unit "may not move/advance further during that player turn" - it doesn't say that the units MPh is ended.
No.

A4.44:
"...In all cases, a Recovery attempt is allowed only by an unpinned, Good Order non-Bypassing unit in the same Location as the SW/Gun ..."