reconstituted units

Cobra Commander

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I conquered belgium france and Norway, is my opponent supposed to disband any reconstituted units from those countries? he's got a French fleet guarding london and three corps of belgians defending dover,

thanks

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I think most players agreed that the allies can keep those units and that you could simply consider them as free-french, free-belgians, that didnt surrender but escaped and continue to fight alongside the allies. Maybe with some limitations, as for example that these units are limited to the european theather and can't be used in Africa or Russia :)

Mark Stevens

Europe Aflame Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
ll
Cobra Commander said:
what does it say in the briefing
"A few individual national units may reconstitute and fight on even when their countries surrender: this is a limitation in the game engine - we suggest that these units be regarded as volunteers fleeing to friendly territory and reforming in exile, fascist die-hards, etc. They add a welcome element of uncertainty into the scenario."

I don't think this is terribly unrealistic - three corps of Belgians sounds a lot but obviously in this alternative history the Royal Navy managed to ship a lot more Belgians back than they did historically, and - like they did in WWI - they decided to fight on even although Brussels was lost. Similarly, elements of the French fleet responded to De Gaulle's appeals and sailed for the UK as their country collapsed.

If it's any consolation, these sort of units tend to reappear in a very weak state, and will attract Allied men and equipment that would otherwise be available for better units. You'll get the same if Finland, Rumania, etc., go under.

If BOTH you and your opponent feel that it's totally ridiculous, you can agree to send the Belgians to Wales or somewhere out of the way, and sail the French into the mid-Atlantic.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Never seen the navy come back before. I know it's just the reconstitution loop, but it's never happened in my many games.