Recon Squads have any special rules?

cthulhugeek

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi,

I am working up a campaign for my friend and I and I am adding a recon squad for both sides. Light troops (Half Squads with motorcyles and quick armored cars). But I was wondering if there is any rule that these things see concealed or HIP units any better than normal? I have found that ussually these troops are useless in a recon role because the enemy will just wait to come out of concealment for higher value targets, and using light recon to force them out through suicide does not seem historical. Any rules for this? Any house rules? I would like to see Recon units actually have a purpose and not just be filler troops.

Don

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recon squads is something that isn't in game rules .. some SSR exist for it.. usually a dr for so many hexs searched.. campaigns have some recon that you purchase with CCP points.. SL used to have single man scouts.. that you ran to hexs you wanted to search.

If you want to make up a rule, play around with it.. see what you like.. I've thought about it a bit before.. and am leaning towards some range from the unit.. like say 8 hexs, park the recon unit (out of sight of the enemy you hope).. make it TI for recon.. roll a DR.. check your homemade chart.. see how many hexs in 8 or so of the unit you get to search, if any.. there should be bad results (sniper wakes up, pinned kia recon ect.).. maybe some result to take a prisoner.. for better result.. LOL I had ideas of vehicle recon that would discover AT and other vehicles easier then Infantry recon.. and engineer recon that would discover entrenchments and mines easier.. however unless theres some huge online muli-player ASL game in future.. I doubt recon special units will go anywhere.:eek:gre:

One thing you should think about is that successful recon could take hours if not days.. so is usually outside most scenerios length.. even if a squad from a recon unit is involved.

Last edited:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi all

My 2 cents is that if you enter a hex - a big thing of about 30 - 40 mtrs or you seach it your doing that role
I think that type of suicide is historial - people often want this game to be about speed but to recon an area took time! - Recon patrols went out all night th enight before
I would give them extra movment factors so they can go further and search further but little else

Rob

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Give them a -1 to their search rolls and maybe an ability to search while using assault movement.

It does depend on what you want to achieve. If you want to do recon during a scenario thenI think it's rather unrealistic given the compressed time frame. However what about having recon units set-up HiP prior to the defenders set-up. Then these guys are revealed and prevent ? growth for the units they can see. Other units enter from off board and the recon units do not count for determining whether there is a scenario attacker/defender.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The recon I was thinking about was years ago for a double blind Jungle patrol campaign.. would be for diehard drinkers I suspect.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The way ASL works out, your "pre-game" recon tended to be very successful:)

For the effects of ASL in the context of a scenario I would say special for Stealthy, -1 to Search dr.

Chas

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's an SSR for you:

Civilian interogation is in effect. Each recon unit gets his own WC DR (used for interogation effects only) and only things within LOS can be revealed.
Or something like that.

I think I'll file that one away:laugh:

But overall, I agree with the assessment that most recon other than 'by fire' is out of the scope of most ASL scenarios.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
They are supposed to be done before the scenario starts.. In CGs are simulated in a single die roll.
IMO is enough except if wanting to play a scenario with every defender HIP and want to grant a special capability to recon troops to discover where the enemy is.. Anyway, it would be a SSR..

Miguel