Recommendations for mapboard container?

Elfego Baca

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now that I’ve accumulated a bunch of them, I’m looking for a storage container for my SK-style mapboards.

I found a Pelican case that has the proper dimensions, but it’s priced higher ($175+) than I’m willing to spend. I also saw RitterKrieg’s ammo box design, but my wife says that I’m dangerous with power tools. :eek:

What I’m considering is something like the Itoya Art Portfolio. 24” x 18” dimensions.

Suggestions appreciated for a better solution. TY!

(And apologies if this has been discussed to death previously; I did a search and couldn’t find the answer. Feel free to point me to the topic thread.)

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I can’t find it but there was a fishing pole carry case that a bunch of players were excited about for traveling to tournaments. If just stacking at home, I’ve seen just putting them on a shelf or Rubbermaid tubs. I don’t mind folding mine as a use a cheap poster frame when I play so I use a small printer paper box from work or others load up the empty BV box

Elfego Baca

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Xenovin. I searched "fishing", and found the topic thread. Several possibilities discussed.

Elfego Baca

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Solution found. I'm primarily concerned with storing the maps at home, and the Office Depot cancelled check box will serve nicely.

I haven't begun to think about how to create a 'travel kit.' I'll postpone that madness until another day. :rolleyes:

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I'm surprised that the issue of "folded or unfolded" hasn't come up yet.

Edit: I see that it did. Sorry.

My method is a plastic rubbermaid-type container where I store them folded and on edge, landscape orientation. I can thumb through the tops of the maps to find the correct map number and retrieve it. It also is easy to transport in a rolling plastic Home Depot tool chest for tournaments and local games. I'm sure the maps will wear faster than if they were stored unfolded and flat, but as a friend once told me "these aren't museum pieces". (e.g., just play)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I use binders with page protectors : I put one folded map per page protector.
40 maps per binder.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I use one of the original MMP shipping boxes that the 1st map set came in.