Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Don,

I freaking love that board! There are some sublime LOS on there (and I understand well the Bendis Geometry of ASL), and the wall/hedge placement look like they would make for interesting play. Please submit to MMP! I will design a scenario for it (if MMP will have it), and I bet others would too.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good to hear, Mark, thanks. I did submit to MMP (along with the other 2 that go with it). Likely, they'll want 'guys out there' to prepare the scenarios using these boards before considering them for publication. My hope is that there will be guys out there willing/able to prepare scenarios for them - possibly with some theme. Tom R's VASL work would probably be needed for PTing.

Here's the other 2 boards. All hand-painted, but made for PT (not straight up publication) only.

Attachments

Desicat

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice boards, I especially like the first one, although shell holes in towns/villages are not my favorite default as they can be added if needed.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am with Don, I dont understand the fascination with rivers and canals. I want more semi open terrain, especially with small rolling hills. Think board 18 without the gully. An open board with new/different hill overlays would work because overlays dont bother me, but I understand the bias against overlays some people have.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not a big fan of boards that have 'one-off', too busy or unusual terrain types - though some scenarios need them. But most scenarios need more generic, or bland terrain I think. For instance, board 4 is used vastly more than any other board. Partly that's due to its having been around for so many years, but mainly its due to the bland, not specific terrain it has. (B44 is also used a lot). It's what Charlie K. described once as a 'lay up' board - meaning its one of those boards that is used as a transition or approach area for some other action. Very useful. Board G3 above attempts to do that.
The other boards (G1 and G2) are my way of showing Village boards that I think would be good, as I don't like most of our current Village board mix.

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice boards, I especially like the first one, although shell holes in towns/villages are not my favorite default as they can be added if needed.
Thanks. I kind of like Shellholes printed on the board because they're rarely given in the scenario SSRs, they add color and terrain TEM, and thinking of Board 3 where they're also used - I don't mind having them at all and think they add a bit of juice.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I admire the original SL boards, 2-4 (all have cracked spines from overuse).
Board 3 is THE town of all towns for sure, and there is no hill as fabled as hill 621.
Board 44 looks like a tribute to 4 and is any easy sub.

Your 3 mountain board overlay mod is top shelf. very nice work.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For board reusability, SSRs redefining terrain works well too.
my Ardennes recipe for Board 35 and 37: forest (thick forest w undergrowth), wheat field (2 story pine no undergrowth), orchards (1 story cultivated pines no undergrowth)

Board 43 with its large fields turned into forests becomes a challenge for armour.
I like boards with gullys and streams as I feel they are interchangeable or can be ignored entirely.