Really nasty tactic

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just wanted to post some info I found.

One "tactic" the German's used was to wait for heavy rain, this would I expect be coordinated with time of battle and the lack of sleep of the enemy. After 3 days trees look like tanks etc..

Thereafter the German's would would advance quietly in emu bob formation and bayonet the enemy in their trenches who would guess too late what the "object" was.

Euch..

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rain, snow, fog, howling winds, sandstorms, night, etc. we always called 'Infantry Weather". The worse, the better. Who in their right mind would be out in such conditions (kind of self explanatory there, an infantryman of course). Anything that would mask movement or sound was always a premium element. Now if you can deny the opponent rest and the fact they may be in defensive positions thinking about how lousy it is out there; And owing to the fact that if you're out prowling around in the crap you're getting more & more P.O.'ed by the passing minutes, heck it's a win win situation.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That is why the Russian Night Witches flew over Stalingrad......the Germans would hear the old biplanes then silence as they literally glided into their bombing area. Scared the hell out of the troops to the point that they could not get rest ..

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is why the Russian Night Witches flew over Stalingrad......the Germans would hear the old biplanes then silence as they literally glided into their bombing area. Scared the hell out of the troops to the point that they could not get rest ..
Washing-machine Charlie did the same at Guadalcanal. Americans just used AA (automatic artillery) all night long.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just imagine it though. Everything fine, time for a brew. Opps whats this, a bayonet through the other side.

The other thing was bombing around D Day - many experienced troops went mad. Running around aimlessly.

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
Rain, snow, fog, howling winds, sandstorms, night, etc. we always called 'Infantry Weather". The worse, the better. Who in their right mind would be out in such conditions (kind of self explanatory there, an infantryman of course). Anything that would mask movement or sound was always a premium element. Now if you can deny the opponent rest and the fact they may be in defensive positions thinking about how lousy it is out there; And owing to the fact that if you're out prowling around in the crap you're getting more & more P.O.'ed by the passing minutes, heck it's a win win situation.
haha yup I remember my old infantry days :)