Really? "Closed due to Political Content"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I must disagree. New management is trying to remove personal insults, politics and profanity from ASL discussions. I support this effort.
Then state the policy in a permanent place (and don't change it willy-nilly, b/c it is going to be darn hard to enforce, so think before you all post it) so we know what the ground rules are. Just like we have the ASLRB to refer to. And try damn hard to be fair like Klas is about ASL rules when you go to wield your bloody axe. What I see here is a king in his kingdom, lopping off threads, for the mere whiff of something the king does not like the smell of. That is so weak. Before, management at least re-directed "de-railed" threads to an ash can place like P&R or what have you [I can hear Jazz typing I consign this thread to...which was fine.] and let folks hack each other away there. It was well known that to enter there you took your lumps as much as you dished them up. Fair enough. But "killing" threads b/c the king does not like the topic at hand...or the direction it "seems" to be going (exactly how many posts does it take for that to happen...? post that answer in your rules if you please).

What you all are doing by this "policy" is censorship, period. You can try to put a shine on it however you want, but we see what you are doing. You should be ashamed of it. For what you are doing is far, far worse then some irate GS guy calling me a Fk D*K. I would much rather deal with that then see "thread closed."

(Oh and by the way as to removing profanity...in an ASL discussion? Can I say "that turn was a cluster fuck" when writing an AAR? Can I say "the fucking dice swing was unbelievable" likewise? When describing an event at a tourney ..."When Darrel Wright open plano got knocked over at ASLOK a few year back the guy who did it quickly said... "Shit! I am so sorry." You are really going to close threads for that...ban me or some one like me for that...really? Do you all wear black jack boots? Maybe you should have little armbands that say "Gamesteppo." KK used to have the OFF Squad...we need a new squad for you all.)

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Ne
Sheeitt...I got banned for a single sentence along those general lines. Tick tock....
New management. New moderation goals and guidance. New moderators. Old moderators have stepped aside.

Laudable goals and intent on new management’s direction.

Time will tell as to how it plays out eventually.

JAGgamer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Those "men of valor" also fought for a society where blacks were segregated, you could smoke anywhere you wanted, drinking and driving was a lark.... Things change in other words, and those "great men of valor" had much different values than you do."

Well . . .no. Not one of the heroes of Normandy fought for segregation, smoking, or drunk driving. I don't agree with DLAZOV, but your statement is very disappointing to read. The values were admirable and not the ones that you listed, for damn sure.

Larry

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ne

New management. New moderation goals and guidance. New moderators. Old moderators have stepped aside.

Laudable goals and intent on new management’s direction.

Time will tell as to how it plays out eventually.
Stop being reasonable.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Those "men of valor" also fought for a society where blacks were segregated, you could smoke anywhere you wanted, drinking and driving was a lark.... Things change in other words, and those "great men of valor" had much different values than you do."

Well . . .no. Not one of the heroes of Normandy fought for segregation, smoking, or drunk driving. I don't agree with DLAZOV, but your statement is very disappointing to read. The values were admirable and not the ones that you listed, for damn sure.

Larry
Accept that times and values change without rancor or judgment. Someday in the future, we too, will be judged cretins.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Makes perfect sense and I agree with it in principle. Better if the lines are clearer and applied consistently. If it's decided that all threads will be shut down without fail whenever any hints of politics (or "penis") appears then okay. If related queries are addressed (and not ignored) fair and square then okay. Respect should be something that goes all around.

PS. Is the rule really -> nothing but ASL (virus ain't politics) then please state that.
PS. I am all for "no insults" .. just not for excepting "insults to people who doesn't agree with me"
Amen for clear lines and rules that are applied consistently Jackson, I'm not for censorship, nor for politics or crude insults creeping into our conversations, don't we have enough of that stuff elsewhere? I'll go back to playtesting and hopefully bringing something positive to the ASL community, Vic.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I viewed the PSG as a form of a lively quarantine ward. The political stuff could get moved there without much rancour. Now I'm just an "Eater Of Spam".
Why not just do that? I mean quarantine in the PSG?...oh wait.... Quarantine sure beats the "edited your post" or "thread closed".
Oh I am probably now being "moderated." How would I know? I have to try and track down some former East Germans to see how they detected if the Stazi was on to them. Wait, I will try FOIA approach, right you all are fair and balanced and have regard for democratic standards,... right...? 1) Moderator/s please inform me via PM if I am being "moderated." 2) If so, which of you have my case file or is passed from shift to shift with entries for that shift. 3) I would like to see that file. Thank you.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
You've conflated my post though I may have stated my case poorly. I didn't mean to imply that those men were fighting for those things but attempted to illustrate that their world was very different to ours. If the dead could somehow be resurrected some, maybe most, might be pleased with how our society has changed (in 1944, things like same sex marriage or state provided day care were not on anyone's radar). All would be aware of deep changes regardless of whether they thought it for the better or worse. But the main point was that it is silly in the extreme to invoke "muh dead vets" and "muh freedom" to try and effect change in the present day. I am sure there are much better, and coherent, arguments than that to be made.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
First post is the thread title repeated in body with finish of “Play”.

It looked like an open topic, so I decided to watch it.

I told myself, I would give it some posts and see where it heads.

The next few posts involved ASL, jokes about sharing dice, changing to side by side play instead of face to face play at tournaments, etc., so I started to think the community is talking about ASL then I read this:

“the Pussification of the world.”

That statement is irrelevant to the current discussion and contains profanity.

I saw that before in the political forum.

Next, the political pun: “…, make polio great again.”

Posts like these were often posted in the closed political forum.

I do not want the behavior that caused the closure of the political forum to intrude on ASL and gaming related threads. I closed the thread so that I can use it as an example of what not to do.

First, do not make irrelevant, off topic posts in threads.

Second, write posts that are respectful. Use words and language like you would with a business client / customer, your work supervisor’s boss’s boss was there, in church – with civility. No personal attacks and no group attacks. No profanity.

Third, when you start a thread, write at least a couple of sentences to indicate what aspect of such a wide topic is to be discussed.

Fourth, no political posts, not even as jokes.

People that violate these policies and rules are subject to moderation. Now the members know the rules. I tried to explain this in the political forum but a lack of behavioral changes lead to its closure. Follow the rules, be civil.

Closing the thread caused outrage for some members. These were expressed in a new thread. A few asked for less moderation by me and suggested that Paul and Michael R lead in moderating the forum. Most were about a lack of clearly defined rules. Here they are. This will be cross-posted there and that thread closed as well. If you have questions, send me a PM and I can open a thread in a non-ASL forum, Ask the Mods, to have a discussion so I can provide clarifications.

@Paul M. Weir and @Michael R , please take the lead for moderating the forum. I will step back for a while; my abrupt style disturbs some members. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.