Real Life M.E. Locations

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It occurs to me that I share Palantir's fascination with Evendim perhaps because of the real life locations I've seen that match it, specifically the combination of ancient ruins and hilly terrain. I recall fondly a visit to St. Andrews and the church there in 1990:

More recently, a visit to Leitch Collieries and the abandoned buildings, nestled in the mountains near the Crowsnest Pass:

And my own camping trip last Labour Day in which we did found a reasonable facsimile of the Misty Mountains...

I wonder if we couldn't arrange some AFTK activity this summer, those of us doing real life questing - the goal being to find real life terrain that closely matches that of M.E. visuals in the game. Points (XP) to be given for each such location you find.

It would be bad form to kill anything on AFTK quests, of course, but "shooting" with a camera is not:

The lowly robin is probably only a pittance of XP. If anyone is "lucky" enough to encounter a bear and foolish enough to "shoot" it, I think the rewards should be incrementally higher...

Albertans are fortunate to have a variety of terrain that would suitably stand in for a lot of the different regions in-game; I'll have to see what I can find when I'm out and about this summer. There are even a couple of "ruins" in the city that seem similar to the Leitch Colliers site and are reminiscent of Evendim or some of the ruins sprinkled throughout M.E.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Some other photos from my "quest"...note the "runes" on the ground... ;)

Just reminds me of some of the "ancient ruins" scattered around the M.E. world in the game.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Another "quest" - little walk last Sunday before meeting some friends for breakfast. Found this "ancient ruin" by chance in a brickyard. I thought the "No Through Traffic" sign was priceless given the stacks of bricks everywhere, obviously a remnant of some former life... The wall seems to be part of an older structure now gone, but it is built in the same style as the building 75 metres or so to the north, shown in the third photo. Why this solitary wall is left standing, I don't know, unless it is not an 'ancient ruin' at all but perhaps it is a demonstration of the product that was used to build it.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Okay, I guess I just started real life "crafting." My mom came over to look at the plants in my new house, and the dude who owned the place before me had been growing rhubarb. Mom harvested the plants since it looked like slugs were eating the leaves, and made tarts from them. Couldn't help but recall the big rhubarb plants in LOTRo...and the feeling that this is the first level of my RL farming apprenticeship or somefink. ;)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Not a ruin, but an old retaining wall - actually one of two - beside a newer concrete structure. The old one is now overgrown and invisible from the road. Saw it on a walkabout today.