Reading accuracy graphs

void

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Hi

Is there any trick related to reading the accuracy graphs?
I was comparing accuracy of PzKpfw IIIe (L/42 gun) with PzKpfw IVe (L/24 gun) and to my surprise the second one turned out to be much more accurate.
Was it so really, or I'm not interpreting the graph correctly.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi

Is there any trick related to reading the accuracy graphs?
I was comparing accuracy of PzKpfw IIIe (L/42 gun) with PzKpfw IVe (L/24 gun) and to my surprise the second one turned out to be much more accurate.
Was it so really, or I'm not interpreting the graph correctly.
I think the answer to your question lies more in the area of writing the accuracy graph...

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Void:
The PzKW III E has a 37mm main gun, the PzKW IVE has a 75mm main gun. Maybe the weight of the 75mm shell more than compensates for the reduced muzzle velocity? I am certainly no expert, but that is the only explanation I can come up with.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From a review of a few online sources, I have found the 3.7CM L42 gun and the 7.5CM L24 gun to have similar hit probabilities up to 500 Meters. From 1,000 meters and longer the L24 7.5CM L24 is more accurate than the L42 3.7CM gun.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From a review of a few online sources, I have found the 3.7CM L42 gun and the 7.5CM L24 gun to have similar hit probabilities up to 500 Meters. From 1,000 meters and longer the L24 7.5CM L24 is more accurate than the L42 3.7CM gun.
Source?

I find that hard to believe given that the AP shell from the 37mm starts out traveling almost twice as fast.

Apart from the obvious stability gained from the speed this also means that range estimation errors are much less likely to lead to a miss.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Source?

I find that hard to believe given that the AP shell from the 37mm starts out traveling almost twice as fast.

Apart from the obvious stability gained from the speed this also means that range estimation errors are much less likely to lead to a miss.
See Wikipedia articles on: 7.5CM KWK 37, 3.7 CM KWK 36, & 3.7CM Pak 36.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
See Wikipedia articles on: 7.5CM KWK 37, 3.7 CM KWK 36, & 3.7CM Pak 36.
Those are obvious nonsense and the links to the sources are dead.

Also, such numbers are not taking range estimation error into account, which a wargame must do. Such 2x2m target values are for pre-aimed gun (usually on a test range) with the range established. But then taking that into account, those numbers are nonsense.

KEYSTONE07950

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those are obvious nonsense and the links to the sources are dead.

Also, such numbers are not taking range estimation error into account, which a wargame must do. Such 2x2m target values are for pre-aimed gun (usually on a test range) with the range established. But then taking that into account, those numbers are nonsense.
Where do you imagine we could get definitive data? Do you consider the data included in another game (ie Panzer Command) accurate? When I get home from work, I'll look how other games present the data.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Where do you imagine we could get definitive data? Do you consider the data included in another game (ie Panzer Command) accurate? When I get home from work, I'll look how other games present the data.
Hmmm, how about checking books, not games?

Lorrin Bird's armor book has data and a hit probability model.