Reaction Fire. And Pinning.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes. I admit that Don 1's mansion and bone doctoring are imaginary. And Don 2's role in the US Army and the Fort P. in New Jersey is a figment of my imagination. His role in the evaluation of the revised Tobruk game (Which was always his favorite Avalon Hill game, and a game he considers more realistic than the armor in ASL. Although he has now corrected the errors in the armor of the tanks and penetration values of the guns in the original game.) And Dr. Norman Friedman did not write the introduction to his revised second edition of his book on the history of ballistics! All this is imaginary. Tim
Life's a dream walking. Death is going home.

Question is: what is NOT a figment of your imagination? How do you think your brains, sitting in a dark cavity, perceive the world?

In all seriousness, you can also get the PDF version of the rulebook from Wargame Vault. If you can read through pages and pages of forum posts, you can read rules off a PDF.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In all seriousness, you can also get the PDF version of the rulebook from Wargame Vault. If you can read through pages and pages of forum posts, you can read rules off a PDF.
This.

You can adjust the size to anything you need. If you use a tablet, it will be just as easy or easier to handle than paper versions of the rulebook. Not to mention available search functions.

Ah, and make that:

von Marwitz

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No. I am going to wait for the rulebook to be reprinted. Buy the chart booklet, for when Steve bring his regular rules. And buy Beyond Valor to replace the missing counter. And make another attempt to search the attic. It is one of the largest attics that I have ever seen. And I am a paper hoarder. I still find it hard to believe that I could have left the rules and counters somewhere on the bus route home. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don 2 indeed has the rules, and the pocket rules too, but he lives in northern New Jersey. I should have told him to bring his rules to Historicon, but I truly believed that they were in the attic. Damn, I was embarrassed. And very hot in the 115+ degrees that day. No windows there! Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back to the ASL issues. Don 2 called this afternoon. I asked him to help with research at the US Naval Archives. But he explained that each American citizen is entitled to two hours of research there per a certain period. Maybe a lifetime limit. Don 2 did a great mockup (one dimensional, however.) of Fuji and it's quite extensive New Zealand force of Coast Artillery system in WW2. Mainly old 4.7"/40 and 6" batteries of an unknown type. He ran a great scenario at Historicon, staging a surprise Japanese attack on the considerable American force in the harbor, including the escourt carrier Long Island and two old WW1 era battleships. There was a great incident where a rather not so bright captain of a Japanese destroyer keep shooting at a stationary ship in the rather large harbor of Fuji. Finally, the young whippersnapper Japanese captain got so exacerbated that he rammed what turned out to be a large rock with a 4.7"/40 placed thereupon. Duh! Don 2 will soon construct a two dimensional mock up of Manila Bay and its famous Concrete Battleship, Fort Drum for two naval wargamers at next Historicon. It will be stored in my legendary attic after that time! Don 2 was unaware of the rule which creates both a roll on the Heat of Battle Table and the Leader Creation Table, upon a roll of snakes eyes in a Reaction Fire Attack. Can someone cite the rule source. Obscure, but a great rule!! Someone else mentioned a Perry Says concerning the situation which I had presented from my game with Steve. This was in regard to a potential Street Fighting attack if the game had continued. See above. But I was unaware of the ruling clarification by Perry, and my Reaction Fire attack apparently would not have been legal. Are these rule clarifications identifiable by date? I would like to explain this Perry Says to Don 2. Tim

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Don 2 did a great mockup (one dimensional, however.) of Fuji and it's quite extensive New Zealand force of Coast Artillery system in WW2.
How do you do a "one dimensional" mockup?
There was a great incident where a rather not so bright captain of a Japanese destroyer keep shooting at a stationary ship in the rather large harbor of Fuji.
Where is this "harbor of Fuji" please?

Last edited:

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The island was a territory of New Zealand. Now an independent nation. In WW2 it had a very extensive system of Coast Defense batteries. Don 2 corresponded with the National Archives of the Colonial Power who provided him with the records of the system and their exact locations. He also used the 'deck logs' of the known ships in the Harbor there to ascertain the exact identity of all the American ships in the Harbor. Every American citizen has the right to two hours of free research at the Naval Archives. Per lifetime. Tim

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The island was a territory of New Zealand. Now an independent nation. In WW2 it had a very extensive system of Coast Defense batteries. Don 2 corresponded with the National Archives of the Colonial Power who provided him with the records of the system and their exact locations. He also used the 'deck logs' of the known ships in the Harbor there to ascertain the exact identity of all the American ships in the Harbor. Every American citizen has the right to two hours of free research at the Naval Archives. Per lifetime. Tim
You mean Fiji then?

Fuji is a volcano in Japan.

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The island was a territory of New Zealand. Now an independent nation. In WW2 it had a very extensive system of Coast Defense batteries. Don 2 corresponded with the National Archives of the Colonial Power who provided him with the records of the system and their exact locations. He also used the 'deck logs' of the known ships in the Harbor there to ascertain the exact identity of all the American ships in the Harbor. Every American citizen has to the right to two hours of free research at the Naval Archives. Per lifetime. Tim

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My spelling is as dubious as my knowledge of the rules. Tim

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The confusing bit here is: there IS a Fuji Fishing Harbour, but that's in Taiwan, so I thought: it can't possibly be that, can it? US destroyers in Fuji?

I didn't know about the Fiji island story though

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My spelling is as dubious as my knowledge of the rules. Tim
Send me an email thru a PM on here, I may be able to help you out with a large read ASLRB (on my dime, as many on here helped me out when we had a house fire while I was deployed overseas and lost/damaged some of my ASL stuff several years back).