Re: Wall Advantage

SquadLdr76

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, first of all I'd like to say that I am somewhat new at ASL. I've had most of the modules for a couple of years actually, but haven't really been able to find any opponents in my area until recently, so now I've tried to go back tackling the rulebook on my own. This of course means I'll probably be sending a barrage of questions to the forum as I self teach myself.

The one thing right now that is really bothering me is the concept of Wall Advantage B9.32. I've read the passages several times and even looked through the rest of the book and haven't found anything that really helps to explain the concept of WA and the benefits it provides. Could someone either help clarify or show me the area in the book where this is better explained? I'm sure it's some simple explanation, but it somehow eludes me.

Thanks. :)

mglouie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi, welcome to the hobby.

First which version of the ASLRB are you using? If you are using the 1st edition, stop reading now and see if you can find the 2nd edition. The WA rules have been changed to make (or so they say) them easier and less ambiguous.

Bascially by gaining WA you deny the wall to the otherside. In other words you get the +1 or +2 TEM and the otherside does not. This could be a very big deal sometimes.

And don't hesitate to ask questions, no matter how small they seem to you. This forum has just started and the answers to your questions may be very useful for others who have the same questions for years to come. :wink:

spb

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In most cases, the only benefit you get from WA is denying it to an enemy unit
ADJACENT to the same wall---both of you can't claim the wall TEM.

Basically, if you're in a non-open ground location that contains a wall, you can claim
WA (getting wall/hedge TEM) or claim the non-OG TEM. If you're in OG and there's
no enemy ADJACENT to the wall, you automagically get WA. If there is an ADJACENT
enemy, you can choose to claim WA under certain circumstances, thus denying
your opponent the ability to claim WA (which may leave his unit in OG).

Normally, you need to make it clear whether or not you're claiming WA when you
enter an eligible location. If there's nothing that could prevent you from getting
WA (i.e., no other in-hex TEM and no enemy units ADJACENT to the wall), then
you automagically get WA. Otherwise, you should declare whether or not you're
claiming WA when you enter the location, and mark your unit appropriately with
a WA counter. If there's already an enemy unit claiming WA over the same wall
hexside, you're SOL...you can't claim WA.

Check out B9.332 for the specifics of when you can claim WA. You can drop
WA (if eligible to do so...i.e., if you can claim in-hex TEM) at any time. B9.332
suggests that you can just drop WA at any time, but a Q&A clarifies that
you must be able to claim a non-zero in-hex TEM.

Things get a little more complicated with bocage since if you don't have WA
and you're in a hex with a bocage hexide, you can't see through the bocage
hexside to a non-adjacent enemy unit (and vice versa). This means you can
gain WA, shoot at a non-adjacent enemy through the bocage, then drop WA
(putting you out of LOS of the guys you just shot at). Note that you need to
declare your drop of WA before any attacks against the units with WA are
declared. And once you've dropped your WA, you can't reclaim it again
during your player turn.

There's a good guide to WA and bocage by Patrick Manlig out there, but I can't
find a live URL.

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Manlig article is in one of the issues of View From The Trenches (can be found at http://www.vftt.co.uk ). Look for issue 29/30 (the direct link is http://www.vftt.co.uk/vftt2930.pdf ). It was issued in 2000 so may not completely reflect the changes in the 2nd edition Rulebook, but it's a good starting point. There's also a brief article from Bruce Probst on Bocage.

Pete

spb

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The main caveat that I can see in Manlig's article with respect to 2nd Edition rules is
that B9.322 (above I incorrectly say B9.332) gives you the opportunity to
claim WA in five situations (during setup; at the end of the RPh, ATTACKER getting
the option first; during the MPh/APh before, during or after spending MF; when
losing HIP; or whenever an enemy unit loses WA over the same hexside). Manlig says
that WA can only be regained during the MPh or at the start of a new turn.

The article also says that WA can be gained when a unit `moves'. According to 9.322,
just spending MF (or MP) is enough. So, for example, a unit could theoretically claim
WA while placing smoke (for example) even if staying in the same location.

SquadLdr76

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks all who replied. WA makes a lot more sense now. It's funny how an easy concept can be overlooked like that.

By the way, mglouie, I am in fact reading from the 2nd edition.

Thanks again for the help and if I have any more questions, I'll be sure to ask here.