Re: German names of vehicles

SquadLdr76

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a question primarily dealing with German armor. Is there a site somewhere or some other resource I can use to learn how to properly pronounce the names of some of these vehicles. Some of them are easy: such as PzKpfw and StuG. But, for instance, how do you begin to pronounce Jagdpanzer. And also, I'd like to know where SPW and PSW come from. Any links that I might be overlooking that could point me in the right direction would greatly help.

syfaulk

Reaction score
Well, you just hear other players say it the way they say it at tourneys and then decide for yourself. Right? :wink: Kinda like some players say "vazel" and others say V-A-S-L....

The proper German for Jagdpanzer would be to the English speaker: "yagdpanzer". For a bit more help:
German Pronunciation

Hope that helps a little,
Scott

syfaulk

Reaction score
And also, I'd like to know where SPW and PSW come from
What exactly are you asking here? Do you mean what do they stand for? Or what they mean in English?

SPW: Schutzenpanzerwagen (umlauts over the u): In English, loosely it's a armored infantry vehicle.

PSW: Panzerspahwagen (umlauts over the second a): In English, an armored scouting car.

-Scott

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hate to try and help wuith German pronounciation (1 semester in High School back in the mid 1960's)

But the "w" is generally pronounces as a "v" and a "v" is pronounced as "f"

Like in folksvagen

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
here's another on fer ya Klaus...

Thanks Klaus for that help, very nice. I have a vehicle that I'm wondering about. Here is the info I have on it:

Kleiner Panzerbefehlswagen (Sd Kfz 265)
Light armored tracked command vehicle
MG 12 or 34 - crew 3
is this counter represented in ASL?

TIA
Bru

syfaulk

Reaction score
Don't think it's represented in counter form in ASL. From the one source I have on it, it would probably be best represented by a PzKpfwIB with conversion to an OP tank. Seems it's combat service was limited to signals and observation battalions of Panzer regiments in the 39 Poland campaign and withdrawn from service in '42.
Probably best done by using a Panzer I ausf B and SSR'ing it into an OP tank. Kinda curious what you're up to ASL-project wise. Sounds cool.

-Scott

Chamberlain and Doyle, Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War II, Sterling Pub., NY, NY, 1999.

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
Thanks Scott, helpful indeed. Now another vehicle that has no "official" counter. except that provided by the guys at HoB. I met a guy on the VASL server who brought this beast to my attention. I thought he was kidding, but research has enlightened me:

Neubaufahreug Pz IV
crew: 6
arm: 1 7.5cm Kwk L/24 (hull mounted); 1 3.7cm Kwk L/45(turret mounted); 2 MG13
5 prototypes built by Rheinmetall-Borsig&Krupp 2 built in '34- 3 in '35
dead end production series

Maybe you can guess where these were in action Scott (hint, not Poland).

Bru-

syfaulk

Reaction score
Neubaufahreug Pz IV
Aha!, the "New Type Construction Vehicle"...

. Now another vehicle that has no "official" counter. except that provided by the guys at HoB
Yep, the counter was included in the Time on Target rare vehicles pack and was actually used in a scenario. (TOT33- Another Tricky Day). Okay armor for the day, bmg, cmg & rmg. Plus, smoke capable with two turrets. Pretty darn cool.

Maybe you can guess where these were in action Scott (hint, not Poland).
Well, it wouldn't be guessing, but I'll go ahead and say Norway... :)

-Scott