RE: Bounding Fire Blackpool - 18th-22nd Nov 2020 (CANCELLED - MOVED TO VASL)

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Good morning/afternoon/evening all. We hope you, your friends, and families all remain well in these trying times.

Sadly we have to inform that we've been forced to cancel Bounding Fire Blackpool 2020. Covid, finally, has defeated us. We tried to hold out to the final turn but those plucky broken half squads in the final victory building were eventually overcome and resistance came to an end.

However, all is not lost. Thanks to the miracle of modern technology we will move the tournament, for this year only (hopefully) to VASL. We will be running a full tournament schedule incorporating 'Friendlies/Fly' on the Wednesday and throughout the long weekend, 'Minis on the Thursday (19th) and the main tournament on Friday through Sunday. There will be the usual range of prizes available throughout the weekend.
All will be explained farther down the line in regard to the full schedule. We'll issue full detail on format and rules in a few weeks.

We're happy to open the tournament up to overseas attendance but please bear in mind the following:

• All elements of the tournament will run through VASL and Skype. Please ensure you are comfortable with both systems. Of course, alternates to Skype can be used with both players' agreement but VASL+Skype is the standard.
  • The tournament is pretty intensive (you'd expect that given that this tournament was formerly 'Intensive Fire'. Scenarios in the 'minis' are morning/afternoon. The main tournament is played over three days with five scenarios, Friday am/pm, Saturday am/pm, and Sunday. This is war...
  • Timings are based on GMT start times of 9am/2pm (ish). Please bear this in mind if registering your attendance.
  • Entry is £15. This covers entry to the minis and/or the main tournament.
I hope this has piqued your interest. If so, please register your attendance, by emailing me at this address only (boundingfirstfire@gmail,com). Further detail will follow next month.

All the best and see you hopefully soon (albeit not in person).

Martin/Simon

Last edited:

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mayers,

Well, that is bad news, but perhaps inevitable in these times.

I hope that you will attract some players who were otherwise hesitant based on the current situation.
The pity, of course, is that everyone will miss on the social part of tournaments. For my money, the
banter and meeting old friends is why I go.

I also hope that you are not too dissuaded and try again for a FtF tournament for several more iterations.
I would really love to come to Blackpool one day.

Sadly(?) I won't be playing; the time difference is a bit too much for my constitution! I may drop in on
a match, or on the meeting when you announce prize winners. Please keep us posted.

Best of luck, and I hope you and yours are safe and healthy!

indy

Last edited:

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
November is a bleak month at the best of times in the northern, northern hemisphere. A VASL tourney might brighten an otherwise dull month.

Are there only two rounds in each Mini? If so, I would be interested in learning more about the Mini format.

TIA,

Chris

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
November is a bleak month at the best of times in the northern, northern hemisphere. A VASL tourney might brighten an otherwise dull month.

Are there only two rounds in each Mini? If so, I would be interested in learning more about the Mini format.

TIA,

Chris
Hi Chris. You wish to enter the Minis...sponsored by...YOU :):)

Correct. Four players in a group. Random draw. Essentially a semi final then a final. One scenario in the morning one in the afternoon.

Trust this helps.

M

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Correct. Four players in a group. Random draw. Essentially a semi final then a final. One scenario in the morning one in the afternoon.

Trust this helps.

M
It does, thanks Martin,

A few more questions...

1. Do the Minis still run/start on Thursday (19 Nov.)?

2. I'm trying to work out the timings at my end. I think BST ends in October. And DST ends here the first Sunday in November. Am I correct in thinking that the time difference between GMT and EST will remain five hours, which will put the start of Round 1 at 0400 EST? I think I could manage this with SWMBO on Thursday, and possibly Friday, should you decide to run Minis on Friday too. But I want to be certain about the start time before I raise the subject of me getting up earlier on her days off.

3. When do you expect to have more info on the number of Minis and the themes/scenarios in each?

-chris

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
It does, thanks Martin,

A few more questions...

1. Do the Minis still run/start on Thursday (19 Nov.)?

2. I'm trying to work out the timings at my end. I think BST ends in October. And DST ends here the first Sunday in November. Am I correct in thinking that the time difference between GMT and EST will remain five hours, which will put the start of Round 1 at 0400 EST? I think I could manage this with SWMBO on Thursday, and possibly Friday, should you decide to run Minis on Friday too. But I want to be certain about the start time before I raise the subject of me getting up earlier on her days off.

3. When do you expect to have more info on the number of Minis and the themes/scenarios in each?

-chris
Sorry for delayed response Chris.

Minis normally run on the Thursday. We may run something on the Wednesday also but if we're keeping things in line with what normally transpires live in Blackpool then Thursday only. However, for those who enter the main tournament, we also organise a 'mini' tournament for those who exit the tournament in the group stages. That particular mini then comprises the scenarios used in the semi final, and final. I'll explain more further down the line. The nice thing about the minis is we can 'play it all by ear'. If there's 8 people on the Thursday who'd like to play minis on the Friday then we can accommodate it normally.

Time difference is indeed five hours according to https://greenwichmeantime.com/time/to/gmt-est/ for the Wednesday anon.

I'm going to give it probably a couple more weeks to garner interest and keep bumping the advertising then I'll begin sending out more formal information mate.

M

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No worries Martin. It's still a way off.

Thursday only would be good too. I'll only need to get up at 0300 once.

I'll definitely take a punt on the Thursday Mini then, even if the start time for me turned out to be 0300 rather than 0400. Just didn't want to push my luck too far.

Looking forward to future updates.

-chris

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
No worries Martin. It's still a way off.

Thursday only would be good too. I'll only need to get up at 0300 once.

I'll definitely take a punt on the Thursday Mini then, even if the start time for me turned out to be 0300 rather than 0400. Just didn't want to push my luck too far.

Looking forward to future updates.

-chris
Brilliant. Can you PM your email address please Chris just so I'm up to date? I'll add you to my 'list' for direct updates.

M

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
Mayers,

Well, that is bad news, but perhaps inevitable in these times.

I hope that you will attract some players who were otherwise hesitant based on the current situation.
The pity, of course, is that everyone will miss on the social part of tournaments. For my money, the
banter and meeting old friends is why I go.

I also hope that you are not too dissuaded and try again for a FtF tournament for several more iterations.
I would really love to come to Blackpool one day.

Sadly(?) I won't be playing; the time difference is a bit too much for my constitution! I may drop in on
a match, or on the meeting when you announce prize winners. Please keep us posted.

Best of luck, and I hope you and yours are safe and healthy!

indy
#therealindylagu

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Aaron Cleavin won the main tournament.

Paul Chamberland came runner up.

Ian Ainsworth took third place (as he did last year also).

It was a blast. If the players had half as much fun playing in it as I did TD'ing it then they will have had a good time.

M

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Congratulations on your tournament! And to Aaron, Paul, and Ian!

I hope that next year, it will be in person.

indy