re. ASL Overlay Pack, any details?

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
That's a peculiar comment, Steve. Most overlays are only a few hexes in size. MMP aren't going to suddenly turn them all into half-map monstrosities (and just as well, too, because they would become much less useful!).

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
True, you are correct about the small overlays.
But there are some type that would be very usefull...
like a better looking and sized airfield.
or Maybe a small harbor what would fit on the end of one of the river boards
or a deep valley with steep & high hills along the valley (ever seen the Ardennes' valleys?)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
True, you are correct about the small overlays.
like a better looking and sized airfield.
or Maybe a small harbor what would fit on the end of one of the river boards
or a deep valley with steep & high hills along the valley (ever seen the Ardennes' valleys?)
I've mentioned before that I thought an overly to cover the airfield was not the best idea. An airfield overlay would have been much more versatile.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I don't disagree with you at all: we could absolutely use a whole bunch of new overlays. both small and large. However, that's not what the conversation was about, which was not "what would be good new overlays to have?" but rather "what is the physical format that MMP will use when (or if) they publish the proposed Overlay Pack?".

(The answer, of course, is that they will be published exactly the same way that overlays in ASL have always been published; anyone who thinks otherwise is not only dreaming, they apparently have no prior experience purchasing any ASL products ever.)

All that being said, it's possible I suppose that MMP will add some new overlays to the Overlay Pack to "sweeten the deal" for people who already own them. Of course, if they do that, there will be the inevitable "I'm being forced to buy something I didn't want to buy" whining. Publishing ASL stuff is inevitably a loser's game; I don't know why anyone bothers. :)