RCL Backblast: only Friendlies affected?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
C12.31 starts: "Any unarmored friendly/Melee unit in the backblast of a RCL when it fires, other than the manning Infantry which fired it, is TI for the remainder of that Player Turn."

So non-Melee enemy units aren't affected at all? Seems... wrong.

Tom

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
C12.31 starts: "Any unarmored friendly/Melee unit in the backblast o
So non-Melee enemy units aren't affected at all? Seems... wrong.

Tom
Couldn't an enemy unit be a Melee unit?
Doesn't the friendly/Melee only distinquish enemy in Melee? why would it be stated if it didn't apply to all Melee units? as attacks AFAIK always attack all units in Melee.

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Couldn't an enemy unit be a Melee unit?
Doesn't the friendly/Melee only distinquish enemy in Melee? why would it be stated if it didn't apply to all Melee units? as attacks AFAIK always attack all units in Melee.
I think that this is what the rule is saying: enemy units will only be attacked by backblast if they are in melee with a friendly unit. I also think that Larry has nailed the reason for this seemingly unrealistic state of affairs.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I think that this is what the rule is saying: enemy units will only be attacked by backblast if they are in melee with a friendly unit. I also think that Larry has nailed the reason for this seemingly unrealistic state of affairs.
My answer was somewhat rhetorical. Its a Balance issue...otherwise when the enemy charges you you fire in the opposite direction and BACKBLAST TI his units which is DUMBAF something FAR more unrealistic. Hence the term Game applied to our hobby.

Juan SantaX

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
does prevent using the RCL to attack enemy units in the backblast zone ... a sleaze. The different rule for SCW (C13.81, all occupants) would only come up extremely rarely to fire at a vehicle in hex while occupied by enemy infantry.
Maybe a berserk using PF or other 1pp SCW LATW on same hex enemy infantry in Adv Fire Phase. Rare, maybe, but not extremely rare. Anyway, something hard to remember but few enemies have a Berserk‘s morale ;)