RBV2 map error

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya-

Anybody else having problems trying to upload their RBv2 map? I keep getting an error reading map.

Scott

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The map seems to download correctly from http://vasl.info/other.htm. I get a 6.6 MB file, bdRBv2.zip, and I extract the map from the outer .zip shell to get bdRBv2. If I open up the inner file, I see things I expect like a data file and various .gif files. When I try to use it in vasl, it seems to have some version confusion and tries to download a new map. Whatever it ends up downloading is not the same map as it results in a 57MB file, not the 6.6MB file I got by hand. That said, if you let it finish downloading the new map on my machine, vasl now works. However if you start vasl again and use the same (new) map, vasl does not like the versioning and downloads the 57MB file again.

There are a number of issues. First I have limited bandwidth here, and I'm guessing the code in vasl uses the main java thread to download the new file. This totally locks up my UI (of my whole X-windows session, not just vasl) until the download finishes, which is an annoyance. Second even though the data files look the same from my quick inspection, vasl insists that the version is wrong even when the new version is in place. I would have to run the code under a debugger to figure out what is happening there, and I probably will leave that for the vasl map elves instead. Third there are somehow two different versions of the bdRBv2 file at vasl.info, the version that you download by hand and the version that vasl downloads because it thinks it can't read the metadata.

I see an exception in the vassal log:

error log said:
*2017-03-02 13:02:01,598 [1-AWT-EventQueue-1] INFO VASL.build.module.map.boardArchive.BoardArchive - Unable to read the board metadata in board archive bdRBv2
2017-03-02 13:10:11,937 [1-AWT-EventQueue-1] INFO VASSAL.launch.TilingHandler - No images to tile.
*2017-03-02 13:10:11,937 [1-AWT-EventQueue-1] INFO VASL.build.module.map.boardArchive.BoardArchive - Unable to read the board metadata in board archive bdRBv2
It looks as if vasl can't figure out what to do with the original "data" file, downloads a new one (eight minutes to my house), and still can't figure out the data file. On my machine it then runs anyway, at least until you start vasl again.

If your experience is different, you may not be getting the whole second version of the map, or it may be too large for how you have java configured on your machine. In either case it looks as though the bdRBv2 map is in a state of confusion and needs to be sorted out first. The file should not be 57MB, so somehow the two versions need to be reconciled. Also vasl should not be downloading the map over and over again, so that means the "data" file is somehow not correct.

JR

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe a new version was uploaded today. The new version adds LOS. It seems the new version isn't playing nice with VASLs board version checker. I'll pass this on.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The bdRBv2 available for download on vasl.info is the old (version 2.1) file. The new map file has the old "data" file, so although vasl.info thinks the latest version is 2.2, the map itself thinks it is version 2.1. The new map file includes the .xcf file, which explains its increase in size.

JR

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks JR. I'll try to get this straightened out.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi everyone.
I am the guy who uploaded the new version of bdRBv2 so this my fault. I will try to fix it asap. Sorry about this. I tested the damn thing right before uploading.

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have uploaded a new version of RBv2 that the automatic updater will use. It is half the size of the previous one (7MB vs 14 MB) as I had mistakenly included a file in the previous version.

It should download quicker. It will show as version 2.2.

Note that this version is NOT on vasl.info. That remains version 2.1. I have made changes to about 40 boards as part of the release of VASL 6.4 (beta version for testing is imminent). These boards will be accessed by the automatic updater functionality but are not on vasl.info until such time as I know there are no frigging errors in them like this one.

Apologies all around. Have tested the new board on my system using vasl6.3.3. It downloaded from the automatic updater just fine and opened as a new game. No problem. Shows as v2.2. I will watch this space to see if others still have problems.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
It seems to behave correctly now. vasl (presumably by a "feature" in java) still locks the whole UI, but obviously not a problem with this map per se.

JR

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good. As Al pointed out, the whole purpose behind this was to extend LOS checking to RB. You won't get this just from the new board; you will also need the new VASL-6.4.0.vmod, a beta version of which should be out shortly.