RBF 5

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen,

Years ago we obtained the rights for the “Recon by Fire” magazine. With some recent submissions, and several scenarios that have been sitting ‘final’ for years, it is the appropriate time for us to release RBF 5.
Cannot state specifically the exact content, but will contain at a minimum the following:
-Scenarios from Dave Lamb’s group
-PTO themed mapboard from a prominent designer
-Overlay sheet (from Lamb’s group)
-Scenarios from various other designers

Otherwise we have a draft concept but lots of work to do. We anticipate a 2019 release if everything goes to plan.

Chas

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any theme to the scenarios, or just grab bag?

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No specific theme for RBF 5.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If there is interest we could bring the DASL stuff we have done in the past into the 21st century.
I think you’ll see plenty of interest in re-released DASL. The WO pack was well received and has had a lot of playings recorded and AARs written. A re-release of your two boards with perhaps a couple of new ones would be most welcome!

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is great news Chas! Will there be any DASL in this issue (I had to ask).

Bill
Isn't DASL just a matter of converting whatever map a scenario uses to larger hexes? Obviously it is not practical with scenarios that use several maps or one large one but certainly, it would be possible with one and two board scenarios. Perhaps reissuing DASL versions of existing boards would be a cool idea.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If you really want to enlarge your boards, I suppose any place with good large-sheet printing could do it for you. But DASL scenarios only really make sense when there's a high enough counter density - so I don't believe there are that many "standard" ASL scenarios for which it would really be worth the trouble.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would be great if you could do a DASL pack with the scenarios and two maps you already have. One thing about the maps--they appear to need a slight enlargement because they don't line up well with the standard DASL maps.

Rison.Az

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sign me up. Anything you guys release is golden. Looking forward to it!

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm not all that psyched by DASL. It's fun sometimes, but it means very little room for maneuver. For larger hexes, I prefer the RB or Hatten approach, where the hexes are a bit larger but not too large. Looking forward to RbF 5.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I'm not all that psyched by DASL. It's fun sometimes, but it means very little room for maneuver. For larger hexes, I prefer the RB or Hatten approach, where the hexes are a bit larger but not too large. Looking forward to RbF 5.
Good point.

I, too, like scenarios where is a bit room for maneuver, which is very difficult in DASL. For DASL, scenario designers need to tackle the problem to come up with interesting tactical challenges in very limited terrain. That is not an easy task.

von Marwitz

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
For DASL, scenario designers need to tackle the problem to come up with interesting tactical challenges in very limited terrain. That is not an easy task.
von Marwitz
It is possible, however there are limits to what can be done. In other terms, a DASL map is "used up" very quickly. More DASL overlays could alleviate designer constraints.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I cant say for sure as we are making some product structuring decisions.
Good chance stuff may be focused on the PTO.