RBF-23 Romanian Holiday

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was reviewing this scenario yesterday for possible play and noticed an "oddity" which could be an error, or it could simply be the scenario designer's attempt to provide more play area, but it does not conform with 98% of the scenarios I have seen, hence I pose the question.

Set up has Board 33 to the left of Board 4. West is on the left edge of Board 33 (i.e. Board 4 is to the East of Board 33). Romanians set up on Board 33, Russians enter on the West edge of Board 33. Russians are attempting to capture the bunkers in the Romanian OOB - which would be on Board 33.

So to sum up (1) the Romanians are on Board 33; (2) the victory bunkers on board 33; (3) the Russians enter Board 33, and yet there is (4) Board 4 to the East of all the action.

This leads me to two conclusions either (1) Board 4 is just there for a little maneuver area outside the victory zone (i.e. everything is fine as is), or (2) Either the Russians are meant to enter from the East edge or the compass rose is pointing in the wrong direction (i.e. the Russians were meant to cross Board 4 prior to getting to the victory area).

Questions: Has anyone played this one? Did it seem correct as laid out?

Scenario designer is listed as Paul Kenny who I believe has left the ASL community, and HOB website has no errata for this issue.

Thoughts?

Kurious Kev

Last edited:

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
I cannot answer fully for Paul, but here is what I believe.
I may be incorrect, but I believe this scenario is after the Romanians had been encircled.
The Russians (I believe) were trying close the encirclement and destroy the Romanians.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I cannot answer fully for Paul, but here is what I believe.
I may be incorrect, but I believe this scenario is after the Romanians had been encircled.
The Russians (I believe) were trying close the encirclement and destroy the Romanians.
Steven thanks for the reply of the bigger situation. I'm still having trouble seeing what the purpose of the superfluous Board 4 is in game. The Romanians do not set up on it, the Russians do not have to cross it, the victory bunkers are not located on it, there is no exit condition for either side to cross it. It's just there, out of the way behind the playing area, almost as if it's a vestige of some early version of the scenario.