RB05 The Last Bid & RO05 Men of Steel combined scenario AAR

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
40 CPP is worth it for the booby traps in a full campaign. The extra losses from rolling 11 on task checks usually adds 1-2 squads per day when you have large numbers of troops on the board.

Does not seem like much, but 4 fortified locations really don't help as much when the game is about net attrition. Less men = less ground taken/held.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
40 CPP is worth it for the booby traps in a full campaign. The extra losses from rolling 11 on task checks usually adds 1-2 squads per day when you have large numbers of troops on the board.

Does not seem like much, but 4 fortified locations really don't help as much when the game is about net attrition. Less men = less ground taken/held.
I always like to go for both but the BBT increase is slightly further down on the list of priorities. I personally like the extra pip on the DR that a fortified location gives you (force protection) and forces your opponent to either expend additional time and resources to take it or modifies their axis of advance to avoid it. If fortified locations are used in positions that enhance your defense yet offer the enemy very little to no advantage after they have taken it, it is especially annoying to him. Of course there's no single Hammer of Thor that will give give you that decided advantage and each must be weighed upon their merits and your tactical approach as each will have its own Achilles Heel.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There are a couple nice things about booby traps in RF. Unlike SAN, they never go down. Buy once, use for the game. PTC are probably the most common TC, but they also apply on PAATC, 4TC to enter sewers (guaranteed to be a leader present), LLTC (guaranteed to be a leader present), deployment TC (guaranteed to be a leader present), Immobilization TC & PTC by vehicles (might be some Personnel around), Berserk TC (guaranteed to be a leader around), Infantry OVR (ok, that's probably pretty rare), and some others. They're the same price as a SAN increase, and although they don't attack as often as a SAN, they can attack in any phase, they can't be reduced or affected, and they are more deadly against MMC. To me the major problem with them is it's easy to forget to apply them. I think they are a good buy early in the CG if you can remember to look for them.

JR

Last edited:

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I played it only twice in the playtest, and was a real grind to get them done. I am very grateful for the efforts of my playtesters. They were beasts for this CG.
As someone who playtests scenarios for Dispatches from the Bunker on a regular basis, I can't imagine what Fort went through in this combined monster. I would like to try this out as more friends retire, having done The Last Bid 30 or so years ago and having one of the best ASL experiences of my life, Vic.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are a couple nice things about booby traps in RF. Unlike SAN, they never go down. Buy once, use for the game. PTC are probably the most common TC, but they also apply on PAATC, 4TC to enter sewers (guaranteed to be a leader present), LLTC (guaranteed to be a leader present), deployment TC (guaranteed to be a leader present), Immobilization TC & PTC by vehicles (might be some Personnel around), Berserk TC (guaranteed to be a leader around), Infantry OVR (ok, that's probably pretty rare), and some others. They're the same price as a SAN increase, and although they don't attack as often as a SAN, they can attack in any phase, they can't be reduced or affected, and they are more deadly against MMC. To me the major problem with them is it's easy to forget to apply them. I think they are a good buy early in the CG if you can remember to look for them.

JR
There should be a SSR that mitigates this to areas outside the German perimeter.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well I can do this; either we can do it ftf (I can drive out to you or you can drive out to me) or can do it over VASL, which is ok, but I prefer ftf.

Thanks for the epic AAR ! I have a evil Russian plan I’d like to try in this.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are a couple nice things about booby traps in RF. Unlike SAN, they never go down (emphasis mine). Buy once, use for the game.
I agree that there are some nice things about the booby traps...and I often times will purchase them all the way up.

But...during the Refit Phase:

O11.6123 BOOBY TRAP DEACTIVATION: If Booby Trap Level A or B is currently in effect, the Russian player makes a dr: an Original dr of six decreases that Level by one (i.e., Level A goes to Level B; Level B reverts to Level C). Any other dr has no effect.

So am I missing something here?

DougRim

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This November we are going ahead with the All Stalingrad All Weekend Weekend (ASAWW) v2. It will take place the weekend of November 18-20 at a bunker (aka family cottage) south west of Ottawa, toward Toronto and the US border. Once again we are playing RB5 The Last Bid and RO5 Men of Steel on the full Red Factories map. Nearly 400 squads in play in a massive 21 turn urban slugfest.

We are organized for 4 players per side and the Russian team is already hard at work planning their setup. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons, one of the Russian team has had to drop out. If anyone is interested in joining us for this glorious weekend of ASL, more ASL, and yet more ASL, send me a message or email me at dougerimmer@gmail.com. No reasonable offer refused.

We can easily integrate a new player at this stage; operation planning is being done on VASL.

ASAWW v2 promises to be even better than our initial effort. Join the fun!

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
This November we are going ahead with the All Stalingrad All Weekend Weekend (ASAWW) v2. It will take place the weekend of November 18-20 at a bunker (aka family cottage) south west of Ottawa, toward Toronto and the US border. Once again we are playing RB5 The Last Bid and RO5 Men of Steel on the full Red Factories map. Nearly 400 squads in play in a massive 21 turn urban slugfest.

We are organized for 4 players per side and the Russian team is already hard at work planning their setup. Unfortunately, due to personal reasons, one of the Russian team has had to drop out. If anyone is interested in joining us for this glorious weekend of ASL, more ASL, and yet more ASL, send me a message or email me at dougerimmer@gmail.com. No reasonable offer refused.

We can easily integrate a new player at this stage; operation planning is being done on VASL.

ASAWW v2 promises to be even better than our initial effort. Join the fun!
It would be something to see this live after all set up and starting with the first DR if you could set up a webcam for it, I know ASLers world-wide would love to see that massive fight for both huge scenarios take place. Just me musing and wish you guys well with it, roll low and have FUN!