RB Perimeter Q's

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

my opponent and I are trying to get the best perimeter we can for our units, in the first example, the Russian player is saying his perimeter can cut through my perimeter and essentially block off two buildings I captured.

In the second example is my version of how the perimeter should look with the perimeter looping around the two stone buildings. Which one looks right?

And ya I think the perimeter rules are the worst part of CG's.ger mer q I.jpgger meri Q II.jpg

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Unless there are German units in W14 and/or X14, there is no reason the soviets can't trace an alternate-grain perimeter from V14 to Y14. At the same time, the Germans can trace an alternate-grain perimeter from V13 through W14 & W15 to X15, then from X15 back to X13. Now the two perimeters overlap but that is ok. There is no single perimeter but rather two perimeters, one per side, and they can overlap, be adjacent, or be separated by unclaimed areas. Areas where the perimeters overlap are isolated but not pockets.

Note that the German perimeter as drawn in the first picture is not legal. Perimeter hex grains cannot trace back over themselves, RB 11.6054 "In addition, the new (Alternated) Hex Grain may *not* overlap another *friendly* (Alternate) Hex (even on the map edge) [EXC: in a hex already containing a friendly Perimeter Marker]", and the drawn perimeter does so in X14.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Indeed the Russian perimeter is OK as drawn but could even be expanded following the alternate hexgrain FF8-FF9-EE10-EE11-etc. to BB14 or from FF10 along the hexgrain directly to Y14. As jrv has pointed out the German perimeter cannot be drawn to X16 but could be expanded from X15 following an alternate hexgrain X15-W15-W14-V13; X16 would still be a German controlled building (Level 1 incl IRC). Also, given the info provided I do not see that hex CC13 could be included in the German perimeter. If such perimeter changes were made several of the hexes would become NML because of the overlap however, more than likely to the benefit of the Russian side.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Wow - it's been about 25 years since I last drew a RB perimeter, and it looks like I still have most of the rules correct. :)