RB Nooks & Crannies

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I today received a Gamesquad Alert that someone has liked (for the seventh time) a simple answer I gave to a question, now three days ago (much appreciated guys!!):

I note this as it was one of those familiar cases where the answer was quite straightforward, but lying in the most innocuous place: the beginning! I assume, therefore, that the "likes" reflect that "Duh!" (but slightly-dazzled and awed) feeling we all get when we find/remember an important rule hidden in some rarely-consulted place.

D1.2 ... If a vehicle has any armor (1.6) it is referred to as an Armored Fighting Vehicle (AFV) and is subject to many special rules.​

A few minutes later and someone else would have responded with the same answer.

But who hasn't begun their reading of Chapter D by virtually skimming section D1 as just ASL counter iconography, surely to be fully explained later? [a rhetorical question, btw! My apologies to you Gurus who have - of course! - never missed anything]

And who catches all of these gems during their first pass through the ASLRB?:

A1.11 SINGLE-MAN COUNTER (SMC): SMC are elite [EXC: Partisans] units...​
A1.123 ...As such, Infantry crew counters are always considered elite troops...​
C.2 ORDNANCE: ...The same weapon may or may not be considered ordnance depending on its use; a Gun with an IFE capability (2.29) is not considered ordnance while using IFE because it does not make a To Hit DR.​
D1.322 ONE-MAN TURRET (1MT): ...A 1MT AFV is considered a ST Type, but can fire neither its MA nor its CMG while CE. In addition, any 1MT AFV that is Stunned is automatically Recalled (5.341) and may not become CE for the remainder of its time onboard.​

Etc...And, yes, such nuggets are embedded in unlikely crevices throughout the RB...

All this is to offer a bit of unsolicited advice to newcomers (and to all those "It's-Been-a-Long-Timers"): Read the entire Rule Book, A-D. Ignore nothing! But more to the point, you should realize going in that the RB experience will not be an organized and sequential description of "how-to-play" ASL (this is not a linear process!). Rather, the RB is a huge collection of rules from which the playing of ASL is gathered and inferred. In that, it is fairly complete and somewhat well-organized; but your moment-to-moment experience of the game will repeatedly run into surprising problems, a maze of cross-referencing (consult the index!), Q & A reviews, and desperate, Gamesquad posts. There are "little" rules everywhere, and you'll be surprised how many times a situation depends upon them.:readit:

When starting, follow the ASOP slavishly - in many ways, THIS is the best description of how to play ASL. Review all charts and tables carefully (especially the Concealment table!). They take precedent and may have more detail than the RB. And expect to spend more time reading than rolling - probably for several years of dedicated play!:waiting:

...Add Chapter E as soon as possible, and of course Chapters F and G (plus supplementary rules) when needed. Consider carefully your VC plus SSR, and know your Vehicle/Ordnance notes from Chapter H!

All this has been said before in many different ways. But I suppose it bears repeating from time to time.:captainobvious:

Feel free to offer responses and your own experiences.

Last edited: