RB CGI - Day 1 (only)

Klaus Fischer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Another AAR from my homepage
Hello Listers,

for those of you who still read AARs, here's a new one. Jake Smith and I just finished RB CGI Day 1 which lasted 7 bloody Turns via VASL PBeM.
We started this CG around Christmas time - but I gotta admit the first turns were annoyingly slow, as I had to alter my MPh almost by hex. Jake had a formidable setup. Well to make it short:
The Germans lost 36 CVP
The Russians lost 64 CVP
The Germans captured 35 Stone Locations = German Win.

I hadn't played ASL for a long time, and even longer since I played on any kind of frequent basis, but after doing the VASL Counters I was hot and wanted to play. In December a lot of RB AARs were posted so I decided to give it a go.
Jake was the first to reply, and willing to take the Russians :)
Since I was rather reluctant to try the Armored Blitz, I bought an additional Rifle Co and a HW Plt and a Stuka RG.
I was real lucky with the DRs, as I received a 10-2 for the Sturm Co and all purchased RGs were full strength.
Jakes setup didn't show any obvious gaps so I decided to probe and attack along the entire northern board edge. Unfortunately I was pretty unorganized (or rusty, or stupid) for the first Turn entering mostly by Assault Move - even with the Tanks despite a SMOKE FFE in G7.
Turn 2 revealed a lot of Russians and a HoB promoted my 10-2 to a 10-3. I finally found my Guts and started to use the VBM-Freeze to close with the Russians. A PzIII was so far out of the way (J1) that it had to traverse a lot of ground before being of any use. You guessed it: a 45LL ATG in J5 found a flank shot and created a Blazing PzIII in H3.
The other 45LL in D6 didn't have as much luck, as my Turn 2 Infantry moved adjacent rather quick (while it was still HIP). Jake got scared, tryed to move it out and got blasted to smitherins ASAP.
Jakes 80mm OBA created Havoc in the B2 area breaking, CRing a lot of my Rifle Squads. My assault on F5 got stopped cold by another OBA module which broke everybody and even threated the PzIII I used as cover.
By Turn 3 I was ready to attack the O6 factory assisted by a PzIII. A small Detachment attacked along the X hexrow towards the Chemist Shop (X10). O6 and P6 saw HtH CC for 2 Player Turns before it was finally in German hands.
The OBA in the F5 area lost radio contact and remained there for a whole turn keeping me away from it, but in the process hit it own HIP Observer in F6L1.
Since he came under heavy fire he decided to withdraw, but was stopped cold in F7 and then Overrun by a PzIII which eliminated the poor Schmok.
My attack into C11 went rather well despite of an 80mm FFE that created a Flame in B10. Until the end of Turn 5 Jake held pretty good, but the Scenario didn't end and my Stukas (all 3/with bombs) finally made their show (even I can roll less than 6).
Turn 6 saw a Stuka Point attack at O8 resulting in a 3KIA destroying a Russian HMG, a Leader and 3 squads, breaking an overstacked 4th squad and rubbling O8.
I captured the M6 Bldg, J5 Rubble incl. ATG, F5/F6 and B13 in Turn 6.
Another Turn! Jake muste've been sweating badly.
In Turn 7 I was also able to capture C15, the G10 rubble area, I9 Bldg complex, the O8 factory (EXC: O9/P9) as well as the Chemist Shop (X 10).
Despite loosing a PzIII and another immobilized in P7/Q8 I think I'm still looking pretty good with aprox. 14 467's and 7 548's. I Xed about 2LMGs and 2MMGs but captured both 45LL ATGs, 2 LMGs and 2 50mmMTRs. Only a 7-0 leader lost and a 8-1 wounded, while Jake lost 2x 7-0, 8-0, and 2x9-1.
I'm sure **this** will hurt Jake the most.
Well, the Perimeter is drawn and I'm ready for my purchases. For those of you interested here is the RB Perimeter Map
at the end of CG Day 1.
We never found the time to play any more days. I had to quit.
I'm still pretty sorry about this.