Rb Cg5 O11.4

okiefire

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CG5. GUNS: No Bore Sighting is allowed.

I understand Guns may not bore sight in RB CG, and a Q&A states MG may not bore sight. My question is may SW Mortars bore sight in RB CG games? Or is "No Bore Sighting is allowed" a blanket statement for all weapons, and not just Guns?

Hexagoner

Reaction score
Okie,

I'm playing RB and have come across the exact same thing. A SW mtr isn't an MG or Gun, so I can find nothing prohibiting BS. It does seem a little inconsistent, but then this CG has been around a long time & I would have expected it to caught long ago if in error. Unless there is another errata or Q+A I'm not aware of, I say Boresight the mother!!

Hex

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hexagoner said:
Okie,

I'm playing RB and have come across the exact same thing. A SW mtr isn't an MG or Gun, so I can find nothing prohibiting BS. It does seem a little inconsistent, but then this CG has been around a long time & I would have expected it to caught long ago if in error. Unless there is another errata or Q+A I'm not aware of, I say Boresight the mother!!

Hex
In which case you would be playing wrong. The "CG5. GUNS:" poriton of the rule is the label, not the words of the rule. Notice there are several provisions in that paragraph. The rule statement is "No Bore Sighting is allowed." Play it that way and you will be correct.

ross

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also keep in mind the following:

"C6.41 Bore Sighting may be used only by a Scenario Defender."

from the Index:
Scenario Attacker/Defender: The Scenario Defender is the side that sets up wholly or partly on-board and does not have to capture terrain (on other than its setup board(s)) in order to fulfill its Victory Conditions, while facing an opposing side that enters wholly from offboard."

If I'm allowed the liberty to reference some other official CG rules, we see that the rules label for the corresponding rule uses a broader heading (perhaps in light of lessons learned from Red Barricades which was the first CG produced for ASL?).

from Kampfgruppe Peiper:
"CG12. BORE SIGHTING & GUNS: Bore Sighting is NA. [EXC: Eligible SW MG may Bore Sight at night]."

from Pegasus Bridge:
"PB18. BORE SIGHTING: Bore Sighting is NA for either side."

from ABTF:
A quick search revealed no SSRs regarding Bore Sighting, so I guess it's allowed? I'm currently playing CG III, so this is of interest to me, but I think the C6.41 and the Index definition of Scenario Defender rules out Bore Sighting in every CG Scenario in which both sides set up forces on the map.

from Edson's Ridge CG:
"CG11 BORE SIGHTING & GUNS: Bore Sighting is NA [EXC: Eligible SW MG may Bore Sight at night]."

from Riley's Road:
"RR3 BORE SIGHTING & GUNS: Bore Sighting (C6.4) is NA [EXC: Eligible SW MG may Bore Sight at night]."

and from the Onslaught to Orsha CG:
"CG11 BORE SIGHTING & GUNS: BS is NA." Of course, perhaps they're referring to another type of BS?

Anyway, I think that C6.41 and the Index definition of Scenario Defender is telling enough even without the corroborating evidence from other CG rules. No weapon can boresight in any CG, unless explicitly allowed by an Initial SSR for an Intial CG Scenario in which one side enters all its forces from off map.

whew, 'nuff said, wish I was getting paid by the letter...

Last edited:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
da priest said:
RBv2:

"CG5. GUNS: Bore Sighting is NA for all weapons. ..":dead:
You're killing me! I now have to get RBv2 to make sure all my rules are up to date.

Hexagoner

Reaction score
Thanks ron. Well, if I HAD a v2 RB :mad: I could have checked that. But Noooooooooooooooo. Have had one on preorder for a long time.

Anyway, this makes a lot of sense. Ut to this reference, I still couldn't see why in the Red Barricades CGIII (day 1) I was playing I couldn't Boresight SW mtrs. Russian fits the def of Scenario Defender just fine.

Okeydokey - no BSing!

Tom

da priest

Reaction score
Hexagoner said:
..Well, if I HAD a v2 RB :mad: I could have checked that. But Noooooooooooooooo. Have had one on preorder for a long time....
Well, not speaking of ASLRBv2, but RBv2 which came in the last edition of BV.(I ordered the new Chap O when it came out).:eek:

Don't know if they have any more copies of the new "O", or if they'll ever print anymore.:(

Hexagoner

Reaction score
Yeah - I guess 'RB' has a few ASL meanings!! Roadblock, Red Barbeques, Rulebook, Ragged Bloody (Heroes),...

Guess I'll have to search for Chptr O errata to see what else I'm screwing up! :confused:

Tom