RB CG 5

FrankH.

Reaction score
Red Barricades CG 5 clearly states that Guns may not Bore Sight.

Q & A at MMP website states per ASL annual that MG may not Boresight in RB

What about Lt. Mortars? May they boresight in RB?

Is the Q & A ruling correct?

What is the rationale that Guns and or MG and or Lt. Mortars may not boresight in RB?

Frank

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have no "inside" info regarding this Q&A, but...

Remember that "Guns" and "MG's" are very different things. The term "Gun" is defined in the glossary / index as ordnance on a 5/8" counter.

So these do not contradict - they apply to different weapons.

Sam

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SamB said:
Remember that "Guns" and "MG's" are very different things. The term "Gun" is defined in the glossary / index as ordnance on a 5/8" counter.
Actually, some MG's are Guns, but not all Guns are MG's. So they are sometimes the same and sometimes different.

FrankH.

Reaction score
That's all well and good guys, but the question that I had relates to C6.41 and O11.4, CG 5.

Seems to me the CG 5 specifically refers to Guns and disallows them Boresighting.

Also, it seems odd to me that the German player is allowed 2 pre-reg hexes on Oct. 17 but the Russian player is not allowed to Boresight Guns (and MG, light mortars?)

Any thoughts?

Frank

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FrankH. said:
That's all well and good guys, but the question that I had relates to C6.41 and O11.4, CG 5.

Seems to me the CG 5 specifically refers to Guns and disallows them Boresighting.
Yes, and the q&a pushes it out to MG's apparently.

FrankH. said:
Also, it seems odd to me that the German player is allowed 2 pre-reg hexes on Oct. 17 but the Russian player is not allowed to Boresight Guns (and MG, light mortars?)
Maybe because a soviet unit trying to boresight in Stalingrad would have had the 6th army corps artillery drop a load on it? I really do not know why BS is NA in RB, but pre-registered hexes have nothing to do with defender/attacker status in ASL and never have.

drklrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had to laugh "flash back"

Actually, some MG's are Guns, but not all Guns are MG's. So they are sometimes the same and sometimes different.
[/quote]

this is totally irrelivant so please don't flame me

but this phrase caused me to have a flash back

how many of you guys have said this at some point in your life most likely at 18 or 19 years old

this is my rifle this is my "gun"

this is for killing this is for fun :lol:

FrankH.

Reaction score
syfaulk said:
Ala Full Metal Jacket

Great Flick.

-Scott
Yes, Full Metal Jacket is quite good, but I think Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, Patton, The Longest Day, Cross of Iron, and Stalingrad (even as it is very disturbing) are better films.

I also like The Thin Red Line and Battleground. Plus The Bridge on the River Kwai, Pork Chop Hill, The Bridges at Toko -Ri (sp?) and Twelve O'Clock High.

Some people think Sahara with Bogart is a great one. I am not sure.

Did I miss one?

Now, what about my rule question????? :?

Frank

Joe W.

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RB CG5 rule

Frank, I think the prohibition on BS in RB was intended to simplify play. A weak arguement perhaps. BS is prohibited in many CGs, again I don't know if there is some historical condition that calls for it. Why Lt Mrts seem to have been left out in this prohibition, is beyond me. It was probably an oversight. I have never seen BS used in a RB game. I have never played a RB night scenario, but must assume even MG boresights for firelanes at night, are also prohibited. Perhaps there is an answer among the "perry sez" collection.
Joe

FrankH.

Reaction score
Re: RB CG5 rule

Joe W. said:
Frank, I think the prohibition on BS in RB was intended to simplify play. A weak arguement perhaps. BS is prohibited in many CGs, again I don't know if there is some historical condition that calls for it. Why Lt Mrts seem to have been left out in this prohibition, is beyond me. It was probably an oversight. I have never seen BS used in a RB game. I have never played a RB night scenario, but must assume even MG boresights for firelanes at night, are also prohibited. Perhaps there is an answer among the "perry sez" collection.
Joe
Yes. Very likely an oversight.

Perhaps the answers / errata / any rewrite should say no Bore Sighting period if that is what is intended.

Frank

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Question: Why can you BS in RB?

Answer: I would say because the SSR says so.

Do you need to rationalize everything down how you would like to see it being played?

I don't agree with it either but play with the rule as it is. If I had it my way, once a HMG was moved it should become a MMG, never able to become a HMG again. I know how much ammo weighs and how much time goes into setting up a HMG. so lug a HMG and all of it ammo wh\ould be truly unrealistic.

And for really what you get a -2 during the MPh only, nothing else No FFMO/FFNAM only Bore sighting you really only get one good pop as the Russians would aviod that hex like the plague.

I am sure you have plenty of buzzsaw set up to cutdown the Red Wave as it comes across the street. I mean you do use the 1-2-7 crew which come with the HMG/MMG to man those MG don't you? And with all those extra HS and squads they can clean up lay down some resids.

But that is the way I see, and if I don't agree well it isn't the end of the world, but only a game.