Rate the scenario or CG above you.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
10/10 for me for happy memories

It's a bit pro-Russian but a proper scrap with OBA, vehicles and air support for both sides as well as fortifications and molotovs.
I did play it as the Germans and win it against a newish but good player more recently. Probably rates an 8 without the beating Ben Jones bonus.

'Setting the Stage' from Journal 3
Setting the Stage already on my TBP list. 7/10

TAC7 Trap in Carpiquet

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah I like the look of this scenario. 7/10

AP7 Directive Number Three
Almost an armor only scenario and ASL does a poor job at representing armor conflict, especially where units have vastly differing speeds. 2/10

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Almost an armor only scenario and ASL does a poor job at representing armor conflict, especially where units have vastly differing speeds. 2/10
I can't agree in this case. The large number of vehicles in the scenario tends to balance out the problems with diciness that are problematic with scenarios that have limited amounts of armor. I'd be interested in what you think is a problem with vehicles with differing speeds.

If there is a problem with this particular scenario it is that the first player is determined by dr, and that seems to give the player who moves first an advantage. There may be a way to handle this, but I haven't studied the scenario that carefully.

On the definite plus side, the Soviet forces include a platoon of T-35s in the strike package. These are a hoot to play if you can get them to work.

JR

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Do you have a choice for the next scenario?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Armour combat is itself 'dicey' never saw the problem, or the whinging resulting from it. YMMV.
It probably the old tread-head thing thing creeping back into me with engagement times, range & speed vs tracking times, etc. It's not so much of whining as I personally almost always avoid armor only scenarios just for the unreal feel of the scenario for me. Probably the largest discrepancy is where on has very slow AFV's (EX: FT-17 or H-39s) and the other force has PSW's, BTs, or some such. I much rather would have embraced a percentage of Movement Allowance expenditure for cases C1-C2 & J1-J2 to reflect such differences in engagement times, but SL did not and ASL simply followed on as it was intended to be an infantry combat system with vehicles as force multipliers and not an armored combat system in and of itself. I have played several armor-only slugfests but never truely enjoyed them as much as a combined arms struggle. As you say, YMMV. :)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Got to admit that sometimes I really enjoy armour only scenarios.

Shmitty008

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking to resurrect this thread some :)

AP12 CREAM OF THE CROP

Not too dense, which looks like it makes for a pretty quick playing combined arms scenario. 6/10

How about A54 - The Raate Road

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Was not too fond of this when I played it. 4/10.

The Kings Of Bollersdorf. LFT FTC 223.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The Kings Of Bollersdorf. LFT FTC 223.
I enjoyed it. I think I tested it.

Agony, Ateball and Angel. Uncommon Valor.

In some circles 'How Craig Benn found out I was his Father'