Rate the scenario or CG above you.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
This thread's promise: 8/10. Always fun to hear people talk about scenarios they played.

This thread's reality: 2/10. Rating a scenario without having played it.
That is kind of true, but it is also interesting to know how they feel about scenarios they have not played. Whether the scenario appeals or looks interesting to them or whether they will pass on that one.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
This thread's promise: 8/10. Always fun to hear people talk about scenarios they played.

This thread's reality: 2/10. Rating a scenario without having played it.
...perhaps a little harsh (people should feel free to make use of the Forum as they see fit - within standard rules of etiquette, of course), but I completely agree with you!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
...perhaps a little harsh (people should feel free to make use of the Forum as they see fit - within standard rules of etiquette, of course), but I completely agree with you!
What you do is go to the scenario archive and check the scenario boards and OOB and any other bits of info, and then you go to ROAR and check the balance and you appraise the scenario from the info you have. If nothing more you have at least looked up and acknowledged a scenario you have not played before.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
What you do is go to the scenario archive and check the scenario boards and OOB and any other bits of info, and then you go to ROAR and check the balance and you appraise the scenario from the info you have. If nothing more you have at least looked up and acknowledged a scenario you have not played before.
I get it Honza, and I too regret the criticism. Like Tuomo, I was expecting this thread to elicit a bunch of brief AARs, tournament reminiscences, plus other "war stories." Just my personal preference... As I said, folks can make what they will of the place.

...I still think it's a great idea for a thread!

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
I get it Honza, and I too regret the criticism. Like Tuomo, I was expecting this thread to elicit a bunch of brief AARs, tournament reminiscences, plus other "war stories." Just my personal preference... As I said, folks can make what they will of the place.

...I still think it's a great idea for a thread!
You might have just struck on a great idea Binchois. A 'sister' thread of this one. There are 154 pages of AARs dating back to 2003, but who looks back that far? Start a new thread of what you were hoping for here "War Stories", from FTF play, Vassal, and Tournament thrillers. Seeing the longevity of the members here there are surely hundreds of them. Go with it man.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You might have just struck on a great idea Binchois. A 'sister' thread of this one. There are 154 pages of AARs dating back to 2003, but who looks back that far? Start a new thread of what you were hoping for here "War Stories", from FTF play, Vassal, and Tournament thrillers. Seeing the longevity of the members here there are surely hundreds of them. Go with it man.
Perhaps set the parameters of the response such as balance, fun factor, W/L ratio (personal or posted on-line) or some such. IIRC Mark Nixon had rated his scenario reviews with such a system in the Annuals. No need for a complete/brief AAR as other threads accomplish that.

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
you have a knack of choosing balanced scenarios. This is another one I have not played. It's appeal is a 6/10.

ITR-3 Tough As Nails.
the balance looks great, but afraid the OOB is a bit larger than my old brain can manage - 4/10

A88 - SURPRISE ENCOUNTER

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Does THIS fit the bill?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Small Finnish scenario. Not interested 4/10

A70 Wintergewitter
A70, One of my ATF's (All Time Favorites); won & lost several times & would play it again in a heartbeat! 10/10 fun, tense and exciting!

KGP 7, The Bridge At Cheneux?

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
A70, One of my ATF's (All Time Favorites); won & lost several times & would play it again in a heartbeat! 10/10 fun, tense and exciting!

KGP 7, The Bridge At Cheneux?
I like better balance, but love Bulge scenarios. 6/10

WO20 SEALING THEIR FATE

Reactions: Roy

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yeah I'm tempted 7/10

T7 (132) Hill 253.5
Quite tempted by this one. 7/10

T7 (ASL132) Hill 253.5
10/10 for me for happy memories

It's a bit pro-Russian but a proper scrap with OBA, vehicles and air support for both sides as well as fortifications and molotovs.
I did play it as the Germans and win it against a newish but good player more recently. Probably rates an 8 without the beating Ben Jones bonus.

'Setting the Stage' from Journal 3

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Yeah I'm tempted 7/10

T7 (132) Hill 253.5
This looks & sounds like a very exciting scenario, using about every tool in the rile book. A bit much for me, but I would happily spectate. Not likely to play at this point. 4/10

WO3 COUNTERATTACK AT CARENTAN