Rate the last movie you watched

Michael R

Elder Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The Quiet Place

A novel idea for a science fiction movie; well executed.

larrymarak

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Solo, 8 out of 10. Follows the Lucasfilm chronology including the Clone Wars and Star Wars rebels animated series, as did Rogue 1.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Deadpool 2.
10 out of 10.

Very rare is it for a sequel to be better than the original, especially when the first was great. This film rocks.

witchbottles

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1527920220663.png

Fitting movie for last weekend. Excellently done. Should have gotten much higher critical acclaim than it did - but such is what occurs when the subject matter is so fresh in the public's mind. If you haven't seen it, watch it. It will top your list of "must haves" in films related to war, and rightfully deserves the place on my shelf of DVDs - right next to Schindler's List.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Babadook

I watched this mostly due to the 98% critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I didn’t notice that it only has a 72% audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Having seen it, I would say the audience rating is a lot more accurate than the inflated score given by critics. In fact, although the movie is okay, I'm not sure exactly what they thought was so great about it. Also, two hours of watching a young child alternate between bouts of depression and screaming fits may not be everyone’s cup of tea. Consider yourself warned.

It's a creepy movie at points, however, there are also long periods where the characters are sleep deprived, irritable, and increasingly irrational due to what they're experiencing, and that gets kind of tedious to watch.

The Babadook is well done for what it is, and worth your time if you watch it with the lights out, but I would put it closer to 72% than 98%.

Michael R

Elder Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom

I enjoyed it. It had great action scenes and special effects. The story, of course, is nothing new.

witchbottles

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Just watched it, very well directed - if a bit over-dramatic at certain scenes.

worth the investment of time to see.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently watched following On Demand:

Hostiles: probably one of the best westerns I've ever seen. Very compelling treatment of enemies coming to terms with, accepting, and respecting each other. Scenery is worth the watch in of itself. Also think it captured weariness and the monotony felt by some the longer serving soldiers.

Justice League: Liked it, don't see what all the bad press on it was about for what it was.

Two others I've seen within last year I really liked that I lump together mentally:

Hell or High Water and Wind River.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 4843

Fitting movie for last weekend. Excellently done. Should have gotten much higher critical acclaim than it did - but such is what occurs when the subject matter is so fresh in the public's mind. If you haven't seen it, watch it. It will top your list of "must haves" in films related to war, and rightfully deserves the place on my shelf of DVDs - right next to Schindler's List.
Heartily agree. Would have a hard time watching it again. Have a friend who lost people under him and couldn't watch it at the time it was made.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been introducing my son, who loves fantasy and monsters, to the movies of Ray Harryhausen (RH). Recently we watched The 7th Voyage of Sinbad and Jason and the Argonauts. They still stand up by a long shot and it was gratifying to watch my kid engrossed by these movies the same way I was at that age when I watched them on TV during the 70s.

7th Yoyage: 10/10. Perhaps my favorite RH movie. Lots of action, great monsters, and vibrant colors (it was the first RH movie filmed in color I believe). Love the shrunken princess and the genie. Skeleton warrior FTW!!

Jason: 10/10. This move is excellent with a great cast. The Talos scenes are outstanding and the evolution of the 7th Voyage skeleton fight from just one in that film to many skeletons in Jason is still amazing to watch. Arguably RH's masterpiece. Plus, Honor Blackman (Hera) is one of my favorite 60s era hotties!!

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few more Ray Harryhausen titles watched recently.

Sinbad and the Eye of the Tige: 8/10. Another favorite from my youth even though its a partial rehash of the 7th Voyage plot (person of royalty altered by black magic, race against an evil sorcerer(ss) to save them, etc.) The creature selection is wonky from a giant walrus to a unicorn giant "troglodyte" to a cool golden minotaur that unfortunately spends the entire movie rowing a boat.

Clash of the Titans (1981): 8/10. I was 10 years old when this was released and wanted to see if badly at the movies but it never happened. The first time I did see it was like all other RH movies I had seen, on TV. We were on a summer vacation trip across the US and were staying with family friends who happened to have HBO. I remember staying up until 5am to gleefully watch Perseus triumphant over the Kraken. This was RH's last movie before his retirement and many of the animation sequences are rough compared to his previous films. It's also my understanding that RH cannibalized his models from other films to save time and money. Calibos reportedly is partially made from parts of the cyclops from 7th Voyage for instance. Still, I have found memories of this movie even though I never noticed as a kid that much of Harry Hamlin's dialogue is simply saying other character's names in a dramatic long whisper. Sill, I love the music and the Medusa scene is still the reason to watch imo.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Quite Place

Had some interesting scenes and I'll give the movie credit for trying to do something different. However, I thought it was a bit overrated as I didn't get totally sucked into it.

7 out of 10

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Split" by M. Night Shyamalan. Don't want to spoil too much for those not aware of this film and where it fits with other Shyamalan movies but the premise is about a man (James Mcavoy) with split personalities that can change his physiology with each personality. The darker personalities inhabiting him cause him to abduct 3 young girls to keep for a sacrifice to a yet unrevealed malevolent personality these dark personalities (collectively called "The Horde") worship. It's trippy. I liked it. 9/10.

Ric of The LBC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ready Player One. Meh, I read the book the day before. As most always the book is MUCH better, especially if you grew up in the '80s. I read it at the suggestion of my son, there is no way he would get half of the references. He did get this one. "Answer the question Claire".

The movie was disappointing.

Last edited:

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Heartily agree. Would have a hard time watching it again. Have a friend who lost people under him and couldn't watch it at the time it was made.
The scenes at Dover AFB were tender and heartbreaking. It would be difficult for me to watch them again.

Michael R

Elder Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Extinction on Netflix. Nice effects. Decent story with a twist about half way through.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forbidden Planet (1956). This movie is spectacular. The electronic soundtrack, the C-57D spaceship, the gorgeous stills of Altair IV, Robby the Robot, a 20 something Anne Francis, a young Leslie Nielsen, and an awesome sci-fi story that still rates as one of my favorites. 10/10.

20,000 Leagues under the Sea (1954). As a kid, this was my favorite live action Disney movie so I watched it with my young son who is the same age I was when I first saw it. He liked the action, especially the fight with the squid, but it got pretty slow for him otherwise. I quite enjoyed this movie as an adult (hadn't seen it in 40 years or so) with James Mason's "Nemo" and the Nautilus still sticking out superbly. Amazing production value on this film for the time. Same with Forbidden Planet. 10/10.