Rate the last movie you watched

Martin Mayers

I watched a slow burn drama last night called The Drop. Mainly because Gandolfini was in it and I'm a huge of of his.

Good film actually...I'd give it 7/10. My wife gave it a 2 and nodded off but she's an 'instant gravy' film watcher.

(Spoiler alert)
Great 'twist' in the sense that the quiet and really mild mannered guy is the real hard guy...and they did well to avoid one seeing it coming till towards the end.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
It's a wonderful life Citizen Kane. 10/10
Spoiler alert!
Great ending when the Christmas mob kills Mr Potter with Rosebud!

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
First name
Don
Saw Arrival last night. This is a hard movie to rate as I found it compelling, especially at the beginning. But at the end it sort of goes off the rails and ends up in a ditch.

This seems to be a consistent gripe of mine with modern films. Writers are able to come up with a decent idea for a story, but they lack the skill to pull it all together in a satisfying package.

The acting is good and the visuals, while sparse, are also well done. The acting is believable. It's just the ending that fouls things up.

This review pretty much sums it up (spoiler alert).

I'll say 7.0/10

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Watched the 2014 "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was very engrossing and well done. Good character development and story including the "evolved" apes eventually showing the same moral weaknesses as man. I give it a strong 8/10. Prompted me to to watch the original Planet of the Apes which I believe is the greatest Sci-Fi movie of all time. 10/10.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
I rate this one corny yet stupid but somehow, like a car wreck, you have to watch. Looks like a ROF tear.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Interesting. Gary Oldman is a awesome Churchill:

Btw, Oldman says he reads a lot about Churchill and wants play him again.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

First name
Michael
Interesting. Gary Oldman is a awesome Churchill:

Btw, Oldman says he reads a lot about Churchill and wants play him again.
It was a good movie, I saw it on Tuesday.

Oldman is kind of a fruitcake though. He believed Lee Harvey Oswald had been set up and one of the deleted scenes of JFK was Oldman (as Oswald) crying in a fantasy courtroom setting about how innocent Oswald was.

As good as Darkest Hour was, same kind of problems. You had Churchill in some fantasy scene set on a subway - it never happened. And the real Churchill was a white supremacist so it's funny to see him giving affectionate pats to the obligatory visible minority in the subway scene. Kind of takes away from the power of Churchill's leadership and pugnaciousness when you invent scenes where women are basically telling him what to do. Not because I think women or minorities are in some way weaker or incapable of making important decisions - but because in this specific case, it never happened. I have no problem with stuff being "dramatized" in a movie, but when it's invented solely for political correctness, I lose interest. A shame, as his portrayal was very good and I found most of it very moving.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
It was a good movie, I saw it on Tuesday.

Oldman is kind of a fruitcake though. He believed Lee Harvey Oswald had been set up and one of the deleted scenes of JFK was Oldman (as Oswald) crying in a fantasy courtroom setting about how innocent Oswald was.

As good as Darkest Hour was, same kind of problems. You had Churchill in some fantasy scene set on a subway - it never happened. And the real Churchill was a white supremacist so it's funny to see him giving affectionate pats to the obligatory visible minority in the subway scene. Kind of takes away from the power of Churchill's leadership and pugnaciousness when you invent scenes where women are basically telling him what to do. Not because I think women or minorities are in some way weaker or incapable of making important decisions - but because in this specific case, it never happened. I have no problem with stuff being "dramatized" in a movie, but when it's invented solely for political correctness, I lose interest. A shame, as his portrayal was very good and I found most of it very moving.
Yeah, I heard about the contrived subway scene. A blemish on a good movie, unnessary. It is a good movie though because the emotions are brought out and Oldman amazingly morphs into Churchill.

Last edited:

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
The 1966 Batman movie. I have fond memories of watching this on TV as a kid in the 70s. I remember making cutout "Bat" vehicles and the Penguin's submarine from notebook paper to play with. Despite the Nolan films and the good animated adaptations of some of the great Batman graphic novels, such as "The Dark Knight Returns", '66 is still my favorite Bats movie. It's the nostalgia thing so with that in mind I give it a 10/10. YMMV.

I watched it with my 6 year old son. He loved it, especially Burgess Meredith's "Penguin", which made me very happy.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Avengers: Infinity War. No spoilers here. Only thing I will say is 10/10 for 10 years and 19 Marvel movies building towards this epic flick!

witchbottles

Memento - f#$^king freaky, scary, well-done, gripping plot and it took almost the whole movie to put it all together - and what a surprise ending!!!