Rate the CM:BN pre-release PR campaign

How well did BFC handle the CM:BN pre-release PR campaign?

• Total voters

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
Why is it that I am not surprised by these poll results here?
Tell me why you keep turning up here like a bad penny? Always negative and always looking for an argument, usually with dale. If you don't like what you read here, then simply visit another message board where only the things you like reading are posted.

Last edited:

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tell me why you keep turning up here like a bad penny? Always negative and always looking for an argument, usually with dale. If you don't like what you read here, then simply visit another message board where only the things you like reading are posted.
Our love is a secret and shameful love that cannot be mentioned. I will never reveal your name, Zonso, though you pierce my heart with a thousand posts!

-dale

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sure in your world of backslapping BFC boosters you think it's acceptable for a long-delayed flagship product demo to be released in a less-than-perfect state, and that none of its flaws are either worrisome or BFC's fault.

And I'm also sure that upon release of that same long-delayed flagship product, the same guy who's been trumpeting about how perfect the game is going to be and how unequalled and unmatched it's going to be in playability and accuracy for the last 4 years, shouting down anyone who disagrees with him the entire time, can release a mush-mouthed "c'mon guys, remember it's only a game, it can't be perfect and it's not perfect and gee-whillickers, it was hard to make so don't get mad" statement and NOT have that interpreted as a warning by you.

But trust me, it's being interpreted as a warning by many people who read it. Remember, Steve gave the same whiny "but it's hard!" retort after a few months of CMSF getting less than stellar response, so it's not 100% uncharacteristic for him to go a little defensive. You would just think that, if he had the same level of confidence he had 3 years ago, he'd wait until after he got some bad responses to trot it out.

-dale
I'm sure someone will show me a link showing I'm wrong so let me phrase it this way.... Steve really said the game was going to be "perfect"? HHmmm.. Doesn't sound like something he would say but go ahead folks, post the quotes to show me I'm wrong.....again. And you do understand that "perfect" is not the same thing as "unequalled and unmatched", right? The last 2 being subjective points of view that I would believe had Steve said.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sure someone will show me a link showing I'm wrong so let me phrase it this way.... Steve really said the game was going to be "perfect"? HHmmm.. Doesn't sound like something he would say but go ahead folks, post the quotes to show me I'm wrong.....again. And you do understand that "perfect" is not the same thing as "unequalled and unmatched", right? The last 2 being subjective points of view that I would believe had Steve said.
Are we going to have yet another discussion about writing, hyperbole, and effect? Go look up your own quotes.

-dale

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are we going to have yet another discussion about writing, hyperbole, and effect? Go look up your own quotes.

-dale
Nope. I though you were full of **** with that comment and since you are confirming that you were we understand each other.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Well they'll see something they don't like twice as fast as they'll see something they do like.

Good Hunting.

MR
That's an interesting comment; depends on the personality, I think. The nature of the internet too - easier to complain and get attention by doing so than being complimentary.

Interesting to revisit this thread - has it really only been four months? Feels like forever. I'm always struck by how much more slowly time passes in cyberspace.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I voted "Good" -- would have been "Very Good" except for the many schedule slips.

I hope they do very well. Steve is clearly nervous. IMHO they've worked very hard on their product and made a good faith effort to learn from many of their past mistakes
So, now that the game has been released, what mistakes do you feel have been cleaned up well?

I take it you were referring to the game itself?

I started the thread to talk about the PR but I think expanding the scope would be a natural. By the way, as I stated earlier, I think they really have learned from past PR "mistakes" (I think that word may be too harsh - life is all about learning; and I think their PR, as stated, as improved for this one - the box video was funny, but we know it didn't cost them anything to put it on YouTube, so nothing was lost - until people started whining that it wasn't "real metal" in the SteelCase - which was out of their control.)

I think the biggest lesson they learned was to get a second coder. We don't really have any idea what good he's done, but one hopes it has helped speed things up. No evidence of that yet. He's unfortunately just as cranky on the forum as Steve.

The distribution does seem to have gone well - they abandoned unprofitable partnerships with people like cdv, who forced deadlines and unpopular DRM schemes on them, which is a huge plus. And personally, I do like my SteelBook, which is attractive, and making it big enough to fit future releases was a great idea (though I'd have happily paid for boxes for the upcoming CMBN modules, too - but I suspect I'm in the minority, so good call on their part).

What else?

captskidd

Recruit
Reaction score
I think the biggest lesson they learned was to get a second coder. We don't really have any idea what good he's done, but one hopes it has helped speed things up. No evidence of that yet.
He did the Mac port, the new water coding, and most of the bug fix stuff.